Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 left handed guns >

left handed guns

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

left handed guns

Old 02-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: left handed guns

I figured it would be worth it for a bolt action to get the left handed version.
I completely agree, I myself only use LH CF bolts for hunting.

If it fits ok (stock with nocheek piece or very minimal) and allows you to reach the safety without taking your eye of the target a right bolt will work. Cycling the bolt without losing site picture becomes the only problem area, but I have seen some southpaws who have adapted very well(my hunting partner is one but he never tried a LH action before we hookedup...now his tune is slightly different).

It really boils down to each individual what is the best solution.

Good Luck
Old 02-28-2006, 07:18 PM
DM

It's got much easier these days to get nice left hand guns, when i was a kid it wasn't possible. Even as an adult i couldn't always find what i wanted, so i had numerous LH rifles made up....

One thing i never could find was a nice LH short action, so i set about makeing one one useing the "design" ofa LH Browning T-bolt and "centerfireing" it.

My friend who owned a lathe did quite a bit of the machineing for me, but here's what i ended up with...

It has a Shaw bbl, and is chambered in 25-20 WCF, and no it's not completed, but it is shootable... I picked the 25-20 WCFbecause i have a custom S&W "K" frame chambered in the same cartridge and they are a wonderfull small game round...

BTW, when it comes to shot guns, i always carried a side by side shotgun, so it didn't matter if i was left handed....

Anyway, hope you like the picts...

Drilling Man

Old 03-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

If you are lefty there is no reason not to go to a rifle or shotgun. 35 years ago we didn't have a heck of alot of choices, now we do.
While I agree a shell ejecting on the right side shouldn't bother one's shooting there are other issues that should be considered. Ease of operation and fit.
Position of safety for ease of use ,why buy righty and have to spend money to switch it over ? Loading and unloading and more importantly firearm fit. If you're lefty go with a firearm made for the southpaw. You won't be sorry.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent advice, Ruddyduck...

I shoot a lefty version Remington 870 12GA and think it is the best thing around. My old Marlin 30-30 however, is righty and it doesn't bother me one bit. I just tip the chamber slightly to the side to eject the spent shell. No biggie.

Now for a centerfire rifle, I do want to pick up a nice .270 or 30-06 one of these days and you can bet it will be a lefty bolt model!

Old 03-01-2006, 01:35 PM

I am left handed andused to shoot an 870 and never had any problems with the ejected shells either. I nowown a Browning BPS and it ejects out the bottom for left or right handed shooters and has asafety of the top.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:51 PM

I'm a lefty and have never had a problem with the shells ejecting out
Old 03-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, it looks like lefthanded and rem.870s go together well. I agree with the using of right handed semis, pumps and levers.( The rem 870s safety can be turned around for leftys.)I also only use lefthanded center fire bolts, also stopped using righthanded blackpowder rifles with a hammer.
Bill
Old 03-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto to Kettlewell's suggestion. I was looking to see if anyone suggested a bottom eject model like the Browning BPS. I am not left handed, but my buddy is. This solves his problem so he borrows mine. Heyyyyy wait a mintuteeee!!![:@]
Old 03-01-2006, 04:35 PM

I am right handed but shoot long guns left handed.....I don't shoot many rifles but I have always shot shot guns left handed and haven't ever had a proble with the right hand guns exept the safty as stated. I switched my Nova safty to lefty.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:43 AM

I'm a lefty and all my guns are right handed. When I purchased a new shotgun a couple years ago I settled on a Mossberg because it has the safety in the back. Very easy to operate for a south paw.

Quick Reply: left handed guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.