Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

j-lock

Old 02-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default j-lock

I got a smoking deal on yet another 300rum. But its got a j-lock bolt and I was told that it slows the lock time and there for makes it less accurate any opinons. This was a good deal only down fall is it has a brake. I kind of bought it for the action cause it was so cheap. But it actually shoots good and it has a trigger job broke crisp at 3lbs but damn the muzzle blast is terrible with that brake.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 PM

Default RE: j-lock

I have both a couple of older 700s and a couple of newer(w/j-lock) and I havn't been able to tell the difference. I do know that there are replacements that dont have to have the j-lock but their not cheap. About the brake, can't you remove it? I have seen them that come off and have a small sleve that protects the threads. But if youonly bought it for the action what were you going to built onit? Good luck. Jovan
Old 02-23-2006, 10:30 PM

If I remember right, accuracy wasn't the big stink on j-locks. Slower lock times certianly don't help any, but the lock times, the aesthetics and the fact that it is one more mechanism to fail (and they have a reputation of "locking up" the gun, rendering in unshootable) that made it a loosing idea.

No fear though, head to midway or brownells and you can get a replacement firing pen assembly. A quick 10 minute job and 50-75 bucks I think.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

yes the brake unscrews but I had to try it with it on. Its a fox river kicks less then my 270 I think.I just am kinda thinking I could sell the whole gun for a good profit and buy an adl and have some extra cash for project X. I didnt think it messed with the accuracy any cause she was shooting around a 1'' not bad I thought. It came with a 3x9x40 buckmasters on it so now I have 2 of them laying around if I decide to use this gun for project X.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

The J lock device doesn't do anything to cause bad accuracy or to slow lock time. It just gets blamed for this crap by people that can't shoot for crap in the first place.

All the J lock is is a groove cut in the rear of the firing pin so the little lock can be rotated and lock the firing pin in place.

Other than just looking bad it does nothing good or bad for the gun. Actually if it does anything to lock time it would speed it up slightly since there is an aditional cut in the firing pin and it is slightly lighter.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree completely bigbulls. Doesnt hurt anything...just uglies em up.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

thanks bb and dd I didnt think it was hurting the accuracy it shoot right around an 1'' maybe a hair under. You now you here something on another website and just had to check it out.