HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 44 Rem. Mag Winchester lever action...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 07:17 PM
buckstalker1187

Default RE: 44 Rem. Mag Winchester lever action...

Trailer, Looking at the ballistics of a 44 magnum in a rifle round, it is actually comparable to the 44 mangum ballistics in a handgun round. The higher velocities and energies given to the rifle because ofits longer barrel length. In that ( themore time the projectile spends in the barrel, the greater the velocity becomes) and so on.

As it has been said in many previous posts, a handgun is not really the "best" choice for fending off bears;But you didn't state which type of bears that we are talking about yet. Although you arethinking about purchasingthe rifle, the ballistics are very similar to the 44 mag (handgun)with the samebullet diameter and bullet weights. Anyways with all that being said,the larger revolvers are always recomended (but not advised)for such applications. With the 44 mag being in the line up of the larger revolver types along with the .480 the .500 s&w....ect. ect.

So I would say that your 44 mag could fend off bears,but if I had another choice to go with a harder hitting round, I would probally go with that.

I understand you want to get a winchester lever action before they are all gone....did you ever think of getting a winchester lever actionin 45-70 ? I would much more recomend thatround for the bears ( but I dont know if you could even find one now?)

Good luck with getting your hands on the gun you want....and hold on to that winchester if you do buy it