Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun oils

Old 01-23-2006, 05:01 PM

Default gun oils

I have a sweet 16 that has been in the rabbit woods it's whole life. The gun still has a decent blueing on it, but it still seems to rust. It's not a bad rust, but it's just the little speckles that you have to look hard to see keep forming on the barrel. I am religious about gun mainenance, and wipe them down often. I use 3in1 oil to wipe them down with. It doesn't seem to be doing the trick. i used this for years on all my other guns with no problems. what oil should i use to wipe them down with. I can't get the gun reblued because it was a gift passed down from my grandfather. After he passes i'll get it reblued and put it away. I really hate that gun with a passion, but still have to use it. i haven't hit crap with this gun. An example of what this gun did to me wasmy skeet score dropping from a 23-24 consistantly to an 8 out of 25 if i was lucky. the other day i missed a rabbit 3 time sitting 20 yards out. I don't suck that bad, with mysavage i can hit just about anything nomatter the speed.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gun oils

I've always hadthe best luck with WD-40 for rust prevention. It seems to do better than gun oil.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the WD-40, it works better than most gun oils for preventing rust. Just don't spray it in the action or trigger, the downside is that it leaves a somewhat sticky film that attacts dust and debris.

Birchwood Casey Sheath works really well too.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:28 PM
DM

Personally, i don't care for WD40 for my guns, i think Break Free CLP is "much" better, and these days it's all i use. It protects the metal a lot better than WD40 does, and last a lot longer as a lube too.

Drilling Man
Old 01-23-2006, 06:33 PM

I like rem oil in the spray can. It leaves a fine film when it dries but isnt a dirt attractor. I have used break free in the can also with good results. I just dont care for the smell of it. The best thing to do is to find an old piece of metal and degrease the whole thing then mark off sections with a black permanent marker. Number the sections and write down on paper the corresponding oil. Try to find something that doesnt have rust already on it. Next treat each section with some popular gun oils and leave it outside for awhile in the rain and such. Make sure you put the same amount on each section. Go back and see which part started rusting first, the second, and so on. Make sure to check it each day for best results. Some salt water can show you what protects best too.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]
i think Break Free CLP is "much" better, and these days it's all i use. It protects the metal a lot better than WD40 does
I gave breakfree a try once. I used it to clean and protect the bore of my enfield after shooting noncorrosive remington ammo. 2 days later I had rust in the bore. I did a little scientific test where I pounded several 16 penny nails into a length of 2x4 and coated each with a different protectant and left the setup outside for a week during the summer, Breakfree was the second worst protectant. The board has been sitting in my garage for 6 months and the only nail right now without rust is covered with RIG. I also tried Lee liquid alox as I leave that stuff int he bore of my rifles after shooting cast bullets.

My results were as follows:

RIG>Lee Liquid Alox>WD-40=BC Sheath>FP-10>Militech-1=breakfree= Hoppes gun oil>Remoil.

I rated them by how long it took for rust to form and the amount of rust. The nails coated with the last 4 rusted overnight with the rust on the remoil coated nails being somewhat worse than those coated with breakfree. The nails coated with Sheath and WD-40 showed rust by the end of the week, but not much. The nail coated with LLA showed rust after sitting in my garage for 2 months after the initial week.

YMMV, but I personally won't put breakfree near a firearm again, or remoil for that matter.
[/blockquote]
Old 01-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used BreakFree CLP for several years. It has always worked well for me. I don't use it in the bore, however, due to the PTFE content. I use Butch's oil in the bore.

I haven't used WD-40 on anything in years. It evaporates too quickly and leaves a sticky residue.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

I just use ATF fluid on most of my guns even the muzzel loaders. Have never had a problem with rust, of course we are in a sort of a dry climate area anyway. Zeak
Old 01-24-2006, 03:15 PM
DM

I gave breakfree a try once. I used it to clean and protect the bore of my enfield after shooting noncorrosive remington ammo. 2 days later I had rust in the bore.
I never tested Break Free on a nail but i did test it for weeks on end in driveing rain and snow while hunting on the Alaskan Peninsula. I also tested it in the temporate rain foreston the coastal islands of Alaska. It worked very well to keep the rust off my firearms and other gear. In fact, itworked so well, it was hard to keep it on the shelf, as it sold very well.

Another thing, when hunting in the mountains or in the winter, the cold weather has no affect on Break Free. Even snowmobileing in below zero weather, my guns keep on working well. It's great than you canuse the same lube year around.

There are so many products made today that are better than WD40, i don't even buy it anymore.

Robert
Old 01-24-2006, 06:00 PM

I will give my vote to rig grease as my long term storage solution. For Lubrication and use in the field I use Breakfree mostly because I have a gallon of it and I likely won't need to buy anything else for a while.

I have had friends recomend birchwood-casey something maybe "sheath"?? any comments on it? The friends who use it seem to think its the best thing for their flinters which seem to require a bit more care than most centerfires.

Quick Reply: gun oils

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.