Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm WSM ?

Old 01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 7mm WSM ?

Is the 7mm WSM the cartridge that doesn't surpass is standard cartridge clone, the 7mm Mag?

What are the draw backs to the 7mm WSM?

Thanks
Tom
Old 01-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm WSM ?

Drawbacks are it never caught on as well as the 300WSM. There are less chances of finding factory 7mm WSM cartridges here than 300WSM. There are also less rifles chambered for 7WSM.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thats right. It didn't really catch on. It can't match the old 7MM Mag with heavier bullets and really, except for the 7MM Rem Mag, the MM cartridges never really were popular in America. We just are not the Metric type
Old 01-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

James you dont think the 7mm-08 is popular. I think there are more 7mm calibers in rifles then almost any other if you add them all up. Excluding wildcats if you take a 277 bullet which is one of the most popular calibers there are there arent that many cartriges for it. 270Win, Wsm, Wby thats about it other then the wildcats.

It would take half a page to list all the calibers with a 7mm bullet unless your just talking stuff that has mm after it and if so never mind my post.

I dont think the 6mm ever got the attention it should havecompared to the 243 but I think the 7mm caliber is one of the most popular calibers we have next to .308 if not the same.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think that the 7 mm wsm ever took of like 270 or 300 wsm...
Old 01-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 7wsm had some big shoes to fill as the 7mm rmag does a lot of things well and is liked by massive amounts of people. I dont care for the recoil...but the 7mm rmag has a proven pedigree. Its a shame cause the 7wsm ballistics are pretty good.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 7 WSM had problem with it’s original design and was held back until the problem was solved. I think this one of the main reasons why it lost some momentum out of the gates...
Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seemed to me that according to most of the ballistic charts I've read (for instance www.federalcartridge.com) that the 7mm wsm actually significantly outperforms the rem mag...and even the stw...not talking hand loading, but with factory cartidges. I don't hand load so, haven't really looked at that one way or the other.

Maybe I'm looking at this too simplistically, but if the actual bullet is the same, then speed, ballistic coefficient,and energy have to be what tells the tale, right? I know that there are heavier bullets that can't be loaded in the short mag, but few if any were in that chart for either. Some also say that these cartridge companies "pad" the charts when it comes to the short mags but I don't know if I believe that unless someone would provide hard evidence.

On most of the stuff I've looked at, from my veiwpoint, it (7mm wsm) even out performs its cousin the 300 wsm AFTER the first 100 yds.

I've got one, in the ruger mk II, and even though I'm not too happy with the gun as far as the safety mechanismand I'll never own another stainless/synthetic, the caliber I like very much and plan to get another gun in the same. just my opinion. If someone could shed light on my observations (if they are in error) and explain, I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

The 7MM WSM in the real world ,does not outperform the Rem Mag ot STW. With heavier bullets, it falls well short. With bullets up to 150 grains, it does well.

Its true that the 7MM-08 is popular now but it took many years to develope the following it has now. The 284 Did not really fly despite the fact that it does everything well. The 7x57 was ten times more popular in the rest of the world than in the U.S. The 280 is really a better all around cartridge than the 270 but its widely overlooked as is the 7MM WSM. The 7MM has gained a good following thanks to the 7MM Rem Mag. The first 7MM to gain a real foothold in America.

I had my first 7MM-08 about 25 years ago but until the last few years, its been slow to gain its DUE respect. The 7x57 which to my thinking is one of the most capable and mild recoiling caliber made, still is pretrty rare to find here.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 7MM WSM in the real world ,does not outperform the Rem Mag ot STW. With heavier bullets, it falls well short.
James B,

I am not disputing your opinion, but would like to know what you are basing that on.
I am talking about comparisons if both the rem mag and the wsm are shooting the same weight and type of bullet...although up to 160 grain (which is the max I've seen in wsm factory loads).
My reasoning is that if the bullets are the same, wouldn't the charts show where the variance in performance between the two is?
If you do a comparison on the www.federalcartridge.com
chart---doesn't that speak for performance of the wsm over the regular mag if the same bullet is used.
I like the wsm and it has performed admirably so far, and although I like it and like the philosophy of the short mags, I am not trying to put it on a pedestool. I just assumed that a consumer could use ballistic charts, on like calibers, if the variables were the same (bullet weight, bullet type), to make informed decisions as to the difference in performance. Is that not true? thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.