Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .243 for deer >

.243 for deer

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.243 for deer

Old 01-17-2006, 11:26 AM

Default RE: .243 for deer

I agree. Good shot placement doesn't change with caliber. With today's bullet technology, either the .223 or the .243 are more than capable for whitetail. Don't get me wrong, all I'll ever hunt whitetail with is my .308 BLR. It's obviously superior to any caliber ever developed. However, it doesn't make the deer any more dead.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Okie807

I agree. Good shot placement doesn't change with caliber. With today's bullet technology, either the .223 or the .243 are more than capable for whitetail. Don't get me wrong, all I'll ever hunt whitetail with is my .308 BLR. It's obviously superior to any caliber ever developed. However, it doesn't make the deer any more dead.
Smart man !
I never could or wont understand the " margin for error" crap I see here on the board.Ive said it before and I'll say it again. A .223 to the vitals is 10 times more lethal than a .300 mag to the gut.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: Okie807

Smart man !
I never could or wont understand the " margin for error" crap I see here on the board.Ive said it before and I'll say it again. A .223 to the vitals is 10 times more lethal than a .300 mag to the gut.
10-4 Good Buddy!

Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is no doubt that a well placed shot is the key nio matter what you shoot. I only point I was trying to make is that sometimes a heavier bullet will reach those vitals that may not be reached with lighter bullets. That on poor shot angles or big bones to shoot through. I say this because I have seen it happen quite a few times where light bullets do not penetrate tough shoulders and such. If you pass on those shots and can always wait for the right angle and a clear shot at the vitals then its a mute point. Hunt long enough and you will see what I mean. If I had nothing else I would surely hunt deer with the 6MM Remington. I just have many better choices.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

There is no doubt that a well placed shot is the key nio matter what you shoot. I only point I was trying to make is that sometimes a heavier bullet will reach those vitals that may not be reached with lighter bullets. That on poor shot angles or big bones to shoot through. I say this because I have seen it happen quite a few times where light bullets do not penetrate tough shoulders and such. If you pass on those shots and can always wait for the right angle and a clear shot at the vitals then its a mute point. Hunt long enough and you will see what I mean. If I had nothing else I would surely hunt deer with the 6MM Remington. I just have many better choices.

Bah humbug !
Are we talking about the same animals, cause deer arent that tough a critter. Anything from a .222 and bigger will have no problems reaching the vitals of a deer. You act like the damn deer are wearing bullet proof vest or something, Jeeeez.
Are you talking about trying to reach the vitals through the damn ham or what.
Freaking arrow can go through the shoulder of a deer. .243 aint gonna sweat doing it. Puhleeeease !
Old 01-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Puhleeeease !

Is that TexMex?
Old 01-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never could or wont understand the " margin for error" crap
Me either. A deer gut shot with a 30-30 isn't going to die any faster than a deer gut shot with a 243. And as far as driving a bullet through bone or to the vitals on a hard quartering shot, well if I were taking those type shots, I'd be more concerned about bullet type rather than bullet caliber or weight.

If I had to shoot through a deers shoulder blade or through his back ham in order to get to his vitals and my choices were a 30-06 with 150grballistic tips ormy 25-06 with 115gr nosler partitions. I'd take the 115 grain partitions every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crap, We can't hunt on Sundays here in WV
I hate when that happens
Old 01-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Puhleeeease !

Is that TexMex?

Damn straight !
True Blooded Texican
Old 01-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

The 6.5x55 with 140's will penetrate like you wouldn't believe.

Quick Reply: .243 for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.