Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ranch Rifle--Autoloader or Ruger Frontier >

Ranch Rifle--Autoloader or Ruger Frontier

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ranch Rifle--Autoloader or Ruger Frontier

Old 12-31-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Ranch Rifle--Autoloader or Ruger Frontier

I am looking for a new ranch rifle, and am considering either a Ruger M77 Mark II Frontier in a .300 WSM caliber, Benelli R1 in 30-06, or Remington Model 7400 in 30-06.

This will be mainly for shooting 200-400 lb. hogs, coyotes, mountain lions, and bobcats in Far West Texas.Most shots will be between 50 and 150 yards and most likely from a truck. I want something that is fast due to the heavy brush and rocky, hilly terrain. I like the idea of the Frontier because of the shorter barrel length (easier to handle in a truck)and the ability to quickly find my site, but I also like the idea of an autoloader for the times when I run into a big bunch of hogs.

I'm also a righty who shoots lefty. I only own right-handed rifles and work the bolt with my right hand, but it really slows me down when there are multiple targets.

Suggestions? If I go with the Frontier, which scope with the correct eye-relief? If the autoloader, which one?

Old 12-31-2005, 09:28 PM

Default RE: Ranch Rifle--Autoloader or Ruger Frontier

I have a Blaser R93 .243 that I use for deer hunting, so I'm looking for something more utilitarian. The AR-15 isn't something I had considered due to the appearance. I have to go through a border patrol checkpoint daily, and if the person asking the questions doesn't know me it might be a hassle.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ranch Rifle--Autoloader or Ruger Frontier

If your looking fora good autoloader, military surplus rifles are pretty hard to beat. They are plenty accurate to 150 yards, and they're typically very reliable. A $79 SKS will take anything you run across at those ranges.