Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Encore Forarm fitment >

Encore Forarm fitment

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Encore Forarm fitment

Old 12-27-2005, 08:20 AM
bigcountry

Default Encore Forarm fitment

I consider myself a whiz at bedding of bolts. Well, I am putting together this varmit combo. I had an encore frame lying around. I put a heavy barrel 204 barrel with walnut stock for heavy barrel.

But fitment isn't great. If I screw down the back screw it pulls the front down and you won't be able to reach the screw for the front. And same if you screw down the front. This obviously is going to put downward pressure on the barrel.

Does anyone else have these fit issues? Thinking I will have to get the forarm fitted.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:31 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Encore Forarm fittment

Just called my gunsmith and he says he pillar beds them all. I agree thats probably the best way but man, has to be expensive.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Encore Forarm fitment

I'm going to be putting the same outfit except I'm using 223 26inchbull with a cheep tasco varmit scope. Going to use it for fox, coyote, coon, and bobcat at the Fredrick Watershed, South Mountain above Smithsburg, and Dorchester county where myhunt club has property. Tell me what you end up doing.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe the "O" ring trick will work. On the NEF rifles we put an O ring or two on over the stud thats welded to the barrel. This cushons the forend and dampens vibrations. It moght average out the difference in the ends of your forend. It would only cost a few cents to try.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:17 AM
bigcountry

Also, what I was thinking about doing while breakin is to just leave the front screw out. That way it will be full floated. If it shoots better with one screw then I will pack that forarm full of glass, get a longer front screw and be done with it.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

big, My 25-06 barrel is the same way,If I tighten it down, accuracy is gone!! I was told that a hanger-bar will solve the problem,that's my next move...
Old 12-27-2005, 06:46 PM

Stratton Custom will pillar bed your forearm for $30. Another idea is to go to the hanger bar system but that will run you more, will have to drill and tap your barrel plus the conversion.

Here is the pillar bedding..... http://www.strattoncustom.com/pages-...d-4/index.html
Old 12-28-2005, 07:38 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TScottW99

Stratton Custom will pillar bed your forearm for $30. Another idea is to go to the hanger bar system but that will run you more, will have to drill and tap your barrel plus the conversion.

Here is the pillar bedding..... http://www.strattoncustom.com/pages-services/pages_id-4/index.html
Thanks, Tscott. My gunsmith wants 100 dollars to pillar bed.

I was thinking of glass bedding myself. Do you think I shouldn't?

Old 12-30-2005, 03:38 PM

I have done neither with mine. Getting ready to send my new forearm to Stratton for pillar bedding as soon as I quit shooting yotes