Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shot gun ?

Old 12-25-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Shot gun ?

[8D]New to this website. It looks great. I just got back to Hunting & Fishing since I retired from the Police Dept. The last Hunting Lic. was from 1987, the girl from the store laugh and said, "I wasn't even born that year." Just tells you I'm getting old. Okay, my question is can you use a single rifle barrel shotgun with a bird shell?
Thanks,
Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shot gun ?

If you are meaning a rifled shotgun barrel,I would not use bird shot.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn’t do it either. If anything it’s going to scatter the shot allot more with the spin of the rifled barrel.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:13 AM

I'm assuming you mean using a rifled slug barrel for shot. I wouldn't suggest it. The rifled barrels don't have choke and the rifling will spin the wad and shot when it comes out. From what I understand it will leave a hole in the pattern. I don't think you will have very much luck using one for hunting birds or bunnies. Might work for close up defense type stuff though.

The only way to really know is to go out and try it to see how it patterns. My guess is you won't be impressed with the results. If worst comes to worst youn can pick up a H&R or NEF single shot for under 100 bucks new, even less used.

Paul
Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 AM

If you use a rifled slug barrel with shot shells eventually you will wear down the rifling. I wouldn't suggest doing what you are asking.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:15 PM
DM

If you use a rifled slug barrel with shot shells eventually you will wear down the rifling.
Interesting, how does soft clean lead wear down rifleing in a hard steel bbl.?

"If" that was the case, there wouldbe holes all overevery used muzzle loader bbl. all over the country side!!!! Also all of my revolver bbls would have been worn very thin by now, as some have nothing but thousands upon thousands of lead bullets shot through them!!!

Drilling Man
Old 12-30-2005, 06:10 AM

DM

Regardless if it is lead or not, it is still being shot through that hard steel barrel at 1300-1500fps. Will it wear down the rifling on the first load? No, but it will wear the rifling down over time and use. How much wear? I don't care to find out. Any wear will effect the accuracy and performance intended by the rifling. If you choose to do this that is your choice. I won't and have talked to others who would agree. To each his own, but I still recommend not doing it.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: DM

If you use a rifled slug barrel with shot shells eventually you will wear down the rifling.
Interesting, how does soft clean lead wear down rifleing in a hard steel bbl.?

"
Especially when that soft clean lead is riding inside a plastic shot cup?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:30 AM
DM

Regardless if it is lead or not, it is still being shot through that hard steel barrel at 1300-1500fps. Will it wear down the rifling on the first load? No, but it will wear the rifling down over time and use. How much wear?
I wouldn't do it either, but NOT for the reasons you stated! You wouldn't live long enough to see any wear in a bbl! All he would get is poor patterns...

Even jacketed bullets don't wear out a rifle bbl when shot at high velocity, let alone lead at low velocity!!

Drilling Man
Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 PM

Even jacketed bullets don't wear out a rifle bbl when shot at high velocity, let alone lead at low velocity!!
Sorry, I disagree. Jacketed bullets DO wear a barrel, especially at high velocities. 220 Swifts and 223 WSSM are known for eating barrels. Lead bullets wear a barrel, not as fast as jacketed bullets. Muzzleloaders using a cloth patches wear barrels. Paper patched bullets are probably the worst, unless you talk about shooting tracers.

Just FYI.....cleaning your barrel with those soft cotton patches causes wear.

Quick Reply: Shot gun ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.