HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - breaking in a gun?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Ought Six

Default RE: breaking in a gun?

There are a couple of features on each rifle that need broken in. The Barrel, the action, the trigger, and the mating between the action and the stock.

My barrel break in is different from Savages, since I like to shoot my barrels black. I do the first section of Savage's description until the bullets no longer leave copper fouling. Basically, your polishing the tooling marks and imperfections out of the barrel with the jacket of the bullet. One important note...before you start the barrel must be completely clean and degreased.

To break in an action, I like to degrease it and the bolt. Then during the barrel break in, the action polishes itself. Once I am done with the barrel break in, the action is usually very smooth. So, I clean off the bolt and the action, then reapply a lubricant. Eezox being my favorite gun oil.

Action to stock mating is something I usually like to have glass bedded. Since I am a complete buffoon with wood, I have a gunsmith do this. Once he is done with the job, it usually takes a few shots to settle the action into the stock. During this phase, I generally make sure the barrel is free floated.

Trigger work can be tricky. This should be left to a gunsmith. I prefer my triggers to be 2 pounds, no creep, and no over travel.