Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .223 for 8 yr. old for deer? >

.223 for 8 yr. old for deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.223 for 8 yr. old for deer?

Old 12-09-2005, 08:05 PM

Default RE: .223 for 8 yr. old for deer?

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

You missed it. Out here in the country, when we butcher a beef everyone gets too help clean the kill. Thats what a "practical anatomy lesson" is. My little girl is well on her way knowing how to use a knife.
No I didn't miss anything. If your daughter helps clean the kill then thats great. Thats what I am talking about. Too many times the kid makes the kill then gets put down for a nap while the work gets done. As far as "out here in the country" I grew up in Fred, Texas so I know all about butchering hogs, beef and deer since I was old enough to hold a knife.

"Pulling the trigger" is poor marksmanship skill, if this is your technique, I'd suggest you seak a range sesson with qualified instuctor. At our ranch we teach all aspects of marksmanship, including trigger control.
Get real. How many kids do you think know about trigger and breath control, much less have the maturity level to exercise it when a deer is in the sights? A few do yes, but for the most part they don't.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:11 PM

@#$%.! learning how to use this forum.
I totally agree! some kids are ready at a young age and some are not. I find that the kids that play the video game fanticy world stuff are not ready.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id say go with a 22-250 or a 223 WSSM loaded with a 60 grain nosler partition, both of these have very little recoil perhaps just a tad more then a 223 rem but will have much better performance on deer. a .223 rem even with a good bullet like thenosler partition still requires almost expertly placed shots, the 22-250 and or 223 WSSM wont increase recoil much but deffinately increase your margin for error.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

While I definetly feel that a .223 is a capeable deer cartridge when loaded with the right bullets I would never reccomend one to a first time shooter/ hunter.

The .243 is a very light kicking rifle. A bolt action with a scope will yield only about 7 - 8 foot pounds of free recoil energy. That is almost nothing. Any one old enough to kill big game should be able to easily handle the recoil of a .243.

An even better choice would be a .257 Roberts. It has almost exactly the same ammount of recoil energy (about 9 foot pounds) but you have the benefit of a larger and heavier bullet.

There is not doubt in my mind that she would be able to comfortably fire a .243 or .257 Roberts. Even on the practice range.

I am not sure what in line ML's Pro Line is shooting but every one I have ever shot kicked a heck of a lot more than a .243. Maybe he is built like a tank.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:36 PM

No I would not let a 8 year old use a 223 for hunting. what I would do is get a H&R heavy barreld rifle. According to H&R's website it weighs 8lbs. Then get a 3x9x40 rifle scope and a sling I think the rifle would be close to 10 lbs. I do not think this setup would kick too much, and if it does you can put a good recoil pad on it such as alimb savers. Or possibally you could get a 308 use managed recoil rounds and put a mercury recoil reducer in it.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lswoody

I plan to get my daughter, which is now 7, a rifle for next years Bama gun season. Right now she weighs about 53#s. I've been told that A .243 would be too much recoil for her. I've also been told that there isn't much difference in recoil between the .243 and .223. I don't know because I've never shot either one.Which would be best? Also, I know that a .243 is a good 300 yd. gun but going by the ballistics of a .223, looks like it is a 150 yd. gun at the most. Would that be about right? Thanks, Scott Woody
The problem you are going to have is not so much the caliber, but the size gun your daughter is probably going to require. She will need a small, lightweight rifle so that she can handle it easily. Yet, the smaller and lighter the rifle, the higher the felt recoil.

As for the .223, it is a very nice round. I load my own ammo and have put many, many rounds through it at paper and varmints. That said, I would not feel comfortable using the round on a deer any further than 50-75 yards with any of the ammo I have tested. Hitting the deer is one thing, finding it is another. For a beginning shooter, I would say go with something in the .25 caliber range, such as a .257 Roberts or a .25-06. Both will handle 110-120 grain bullets very well, yet are fairly mild mannered. Of course, I'm basing this off of my .25-06, which is a fairly large rifle. I thought the same thing about 20 guage shotguns one time, until I shot an Ithica ultra-featherlight and got de-stooled when the first dove flew over.

My recommendation would be to get a .223 for her to begin shooting and practicing. Ammo is cheap, and recoil is minimal to non-existant. Then when the time comes, get a larger caliber rifle for deer.

If they made a smaller version of the Thompson Center, you could buy one in .223, then simply buy a new barrel in a largercaliber when the time comes.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

The NEF youth model is available in 7mm-08. Put the "Shooters Friend" Recoild Pad from Cabelas on it and she won't hardly feel any recoil. This pad reduces recoil by 70 percent. It really works. I have one. Both the recoil pad and the youth model 7MM-08. When she grows a little more, you can purchase the adult stock for nearly nothing and its ready for bigger shooters.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls...I load mine light...90 grains, and still get plenty of energy without recoil. I shoot a cheap Traditions in-line, and with 90 grains of powder and 180 grain bullets, it doesn't kick much at all.

I believe it is a lighter recoil than my 243.

I shot my buddies Omega with 150 grains of powder and 240 grain bullets...that's a different story.

I am, however, built like a tank. LOL
Old 12-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey pro line how does that gungroup? I have a Traditions and it prefers 90 gr's with anything I use. Cant beat them guns for the price.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doedumper...Mine groups fine. It'll shoot 4" at 100 yards from the bench. Not rifle-type accuracy, but I feel comfortable taking the RIGHT shot at 100yds.

The gun is simple to clean...and works fine. I looked at an Omega or a T/C, but chose this one because it's simpler.

Quick Reply: .223 for 8 yr. old for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.