Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry >

Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Old 11-28-2005, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

I have a few different pieces that I carry. My favorite would probably be the Colt Govt Model 45ACP. The Govt model is a large framed auto, but it is very slim, which means that it is not hard to conceal...especially this time of year. I usually just tuck in my tee shirt (to keep the cold steel off my belly) and then put the pistol in my waist band just behind my left pocket and put a shirt on over top of it. You can't see it when I sit, and you can't see it when I stand, and I can get it out and ready to fire in less than two seconds. If you want something smaller I would recommend a snub nose 38 revolver. You won't ever go wrong with that choice, and if you are just interested in making a good show in case things turn sour...like someone pulls a knife on you...you could load the first chamber with rat shot.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:20 PM

and if you are just interested in making a good show in case things turn sour...like someone pulls a knife on you...you could load the first chamber with rat shot.
Very, very bad idea, IMO.
if the situation calls for deadly force, you don't have time to pepper someone with a shotload brfore you get to serious ammunition. Not only that, I don't want plaintiff's attorney to ask me in front of a jury whyI shot his client with less than deadly force. If you used something less thanlethal, it's pretty much a tacit admitance that deadly force wasn't justified, at least to many juries. If you blind him with birdshot, things will really get intresting. You have WAY to much to lose in a senario like that. The situation either calls for deadly force, and you shoot to stop (and maybe kill), or it doesn't call for deadly force, and the firearm stays holstered.

Never said what I carry. Mostly a Para-Ordnance P12, in an IWB holster. Reasonably thick pullover shirt and I'm concealed enough.
When carrying a small gun, a Smith M36 with bobbed hammer. Only five rounds, so I do carry one gunload of backup ammunition in a Bianchi Speed Strip, just in case.
Never had an LEO look at me twice, even when dealing with them up close.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:51 PM

For knockdown power and reliability, it's hard to beat a small reolver in .357 mag. Smith, ruger, and taurus all make good ones. 2" barrels are easy to conceal but not the most pleasant to shoot. But a revolver is the simplest, safest platform. I read that most engagements are decided in 2 or 3 shots fired.
There are some great choices in autos. Go out and hold as many brands as you can to see what fits you hand. My best friend swears by Glock but the grip angle of glocks is uncomfotable to me. My drummer swears by his Walther p99 and I have to admit it is pretty sweet. Sig is good, so is the hk p2000 and usp (maybe the best). But check out the springfield XD. I will be buying one soon in 45 GAP. Khar has a well deserved rep for quality, as does CZ
You might go to a range that rents handguns and shoot as many as you can. Lets face it. The quality of most of the big maufacturers is good. Most of the preference among shooters is brand loyalty, asthetics, and feel.
let us know what you get
okcmco
BTW, I carry a colt 1911 chip maccormick factory racer in 45acp. but it mostly rides in my van
Old 11-28-2005, 11:11 PM

I carry a Glock 27 .40S&Wwhere ever I go. Very reliable, accurate and easy to carry.

There are a good many good pistols out there. I would suggest going to a range and renting a few and trying them on for size. You need something you can shoot comfortably but also be able to carry 24/7. If it's a pain to carry then you will proably leave it at hom where it will do you no good.

Do not skimp on the gun, ammo nor the holster. A good holster will all the differnce in the world.

Springfield XD's are another good pistol to look at.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have a similar back ground as you do. I don't carry, but usually keep one in the car when on trips or in the back country, etc and for the same reasons as you. I'd say the most important thing is to try as many as possible. I'd go against some posts here in saying that I prefer a semi-auto to a revolver and I think the semi autos are easier to learn. My thoughts only.

I found that simplicity is mandatory and the glock and Springfield XDs don't get any simpler. I think the XD wins in the comfort category, but is a bit heavier. I have an XD and love it. I would find it too heavy though for carry. My friend has a compact XD that he carries. It shoots as well as the larger models but I still think it is too heavy.

For an acutual carry gun that I was going to have on my person, I would look for the smallest lightest I could shoot accurately with. I would even go down to .380 if I was more accurate and more prone to carry it due to smaller weight and size. Another friend has a Kel-tec in 9mm. That I would consider in this category. I think the Kahr falls there as well, but I don't have any experience with it.

My comments go against the norm in that I think semi autos are easier and that I would go down in power to be lighter, accurate and concealable. These are my thoughts and are based on "knowing me".
Old 11-29-2005, 02:07 PM

Semi auto, not revolver.

Check this out:

Llama makes a .45 sub compact. Its a little wide asto accomodate the rounds but it is still a tiny gun and its .45 acp. Not to mention you could probably get it new for $250-$350. Its certainly no show piece but its a gun.

I am only advocating the .45 for this simple reason. I am 250 lbs and I think, if im in a situation where somebody is shooting a gun at me, I probably want to reach them for one reason or another. Being 250 lbs, I believe I might be able to shake off a couple of 9mm rounds and still do some damage (not saying I wouldnt pay the consequences later) but with a .45, I do believe I would think twice before getting back up. I dont know maybe thats just the Marine in me. Hope it helps.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:55 PM

With the Quality ammo available today the 9mm Luger will work just fine!Glock,Sig,Ruger,Taurus are a few good ones you should check out.The great .357mag in a 6-Shot revovler 4" or 6" with your little handgun experience would be easier to handle,Also a quality 1911 .45acp is allways a great choice.Basically whatever shoots and feels good to you.Maybe buy one for you and your wife AND your daughter!!!!!!Viva Tejas
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 AM

para-ordance 45 wart hog 10oz unloaded very small and designed to have minimal recoil im getting one as soon as i get the funds shot one at the range and love it they cost between 400-800 dollars shop around to get a good price if in pa i can tell you where to go for best price
Old 12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being 250 lbs, I believe I might be able to shake off a couple of 9mm rounds and still do some damage (not saying I wouldnt pay the consequences later) but with a .45, I do believe I would think twice before getting back up.
If you can "shake off" a double tap hit to center mass with a couple of Corbon 115 grain 9mm+P then a 45 ACP round ain't gonna do any good either.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Irish, the man is looking for a concealed, carry hand gun for protection. He's not going into battle. If you can get the job done with 6 rounds, you better move out of that neighborhood.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.