Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry >

Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Old 11-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Going along with what Rebel Hog said, I'd go with the small snubnose revolver. It's quick, easy to use, and can be concealed anywhere. I have a CWP for the state of Virginia and own a small Taurus 85, .38spl snubby.

Old 11-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

No disrespect to those suggesting, but screw that snub nose revolver crap. You're working yourself into a situation where you have five or six rounds, maybe seven on some models, and you're out. Even if it is a .357 mag or 38, even a honkin 45 colt-one bullet, one kill. Try reloadin in a tactical situation. With a semiauto and a back up clip, reloading is much simpler.

A solid semiauto would be a better choice. You'll get more rounds, especially with smaller calibers, and they'll be easier to shoot. The recoil on my .45 acp 1911 is nothing compared to a snub nosed .357 magnum. As far as not having much experience with pistols, it's not a factor because it's easy to learn. You'll get some while taking your classes to get your permit, and after you spend some time on the range to become proficient you'll be doing fine.

There is validity to the lack of knock down power in 9mm. The Marines are being reissued 45s and old government models because the M9s aren't getting the job done. A small sized 45 could be a little heavy on the recoil though, but the 40 S&W is pretty nice. A favorite of mine is the Glock 23, it's a compact 40 s&w. Such a gun would be good for concealed carry, plus keep your bases covered should you actually need to use it. Use jacketed hollow points also. They increase the amount of damage inflicted on the person being shot due to the mushrooming of the bullet, and they prevent pass throughs. Full metal jackets will pass through and possibly hit a bystander. That's the scary thing with 9mm, the bullets are narrow and pointy compared to other calibers, so they'll go further and pass through more.

Overall, I'd suggest giong with a basic semiauto in 40 s&w or 45 acp. Shop around for glocks and Springfield XDs, maybe find a used one in good condition. Become familiar with how your firearm works, practice and become proficient, and know the laws of use of force in your state. Also keep in mind that near the border you might come across some drug smuggling activity. Consider having a scattergun with some tactical loads or a rifle with you also.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:04 PM

You need to be very cautious of the size of the handgun that you select.How comfortable are you going to be wearing avest or a jacket during the summer months?Large handguns are nearly impossible to conceal unless you wear a vest or jacket. I can only imagine how hot it gets in southern Texas in the summer months. What message would it send if you were wearing a vest or jacket in the summer months? "I'm carring a handgun" maybe? If i were looking for a handgun for concealed carry i would start looking at baby Glocks, Kahrs, small frame revolvers with small grips, maybe even a Sea Camp .32. Go toyour local gunstore see what feels confortable in your hand, see what one you shoot well, see how concealable each one is. Look at holsters. How do you what to carry your handgun? Crossdraw, inside the waistband, shoulder rig? I can promise you this,whatever you deciede on it will be acompromise.You will have to make the finaldecision on what you want to compromise. Caliber, size, shootablility, confort,or concealability.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:22 PM

Some good advice here, some ballistic info not so factual. For some good info on shooting statistics regarding one-stop shots visit http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0

Using hollowpoints, I wouldn't worry about over-penetration in any caliber.

For some discussion with a bunch of pistoleros go to http://www.stoppingpower.net/

Statistics, and a lot of them, say the old .357 Mag is the best fight stopper around. Still, If you feel comfortable with an auto, I'd go with one. I'd look for a .40 cal Glock used. A .45 would be OK as well. Lots of police trade-ins around at decent prices. I'd also get night sights. The Sigs are more expensive but no more reliable and the Glock has all the accuracy you need for self-defense.

An auto not only carries more rounds, it's a whole lot easier to reload in a fight if you ever have to. Another thing to consider is that if a gunfight takes place around an auto, the .38's and 9's won't penetrate doors or glass like the heavier slugs of a .40 or .45.

I have carried for a few decades. I'm partial to bigger bores, and own about every caliber around, except the super mags. I find myself leaving my .45's in the safe and carrying a .40 cal Model 27 Glock compact most of the time with a .32 Kel Tec in a wallet holster-- just in case.

A 30/30 or cheap SKS behind the seat is a good poor man's assault weapon as well. And you simply can't beat a 12 ga with buckshot for a close range weapon.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:57 PM

Many people may disagree with this but I have a smith and wesson sigman and 9mm that I love. It is a new model and It shoots tight groups at 25 yards. It also has a capacity of 16+1. No matter what you carry though you need to shoot it it often and shoot with the ammo that you would keep it loaded with.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I strongly agree with the recommendations of a .38/.357 wheel gun. Avail in 5, 6, 7 or (even 8) shot models. Stick with good name manufacturers. I don't think anyone mentioned bobbed hammer for no hang up on a pocket draw presentation. You will need to really think about your holster options. You'll probobly need min 2 options, maybe 3.

Aside from the wheelguns, if you were to go semi-auto I would recommend the very simplist of models from Kel-Tec, Taurus, etc...

WHATEVER WEAPON YOU CHOOSE - BECOME VERY WELL PRACTICED WITH IT!

I whope everything goes well for you. But let me give you this advice.

Learn to identify problems or problematic characters quickly. Never let your guard down. Armed or not, never be around trouble. If trouble arises, even if it does not involve you - walk away.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I carry a Ruger 45 Auto. I also carry at times a 4 inch Taurus 357 Mag with 158 grain lead hollow point +p 38 special ammo. If you can't do it with 6-7 rounds then you won't get it done. Most gunfights take place at 7 to 10 feet. Unless you are up against a Motor cycle gang you won't have time to shoot to many times.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:21 AM

Most everything in life is a tradeoff. True, most gunfights take place at 7 yards or less and involve only a shot or two. I guess it depends if you're willing to bet your life on a 90% chance of success by preparing for the statistically average situation or you want to do everything you can to stay alive and prepare for the worst-case scenario.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

for me? small frame S&W Snubby such as the 340 PD in 357... or hammerless (shrouded) airlight like the 432 PD in 38 +P... i can stick it right in my jeans pocket and no one knows the difference other than it looks like my wallet or whatever... it's easy to get to, won't snag coming out and it'll do what it is meant to if the situation calls for it...

if you have to "reload" in a close range self defense situation you are probably already dead or damn close to it...

the small snubby is easy to control... more difficult to remove from your hand, is easily concealable and unlike an auto... won't FTF or FTE and stovepipe at just the wrong moment... simple and effective for the "inside the circle" situations...

but... that's JMHO...

J
Old 11-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

. Amen!

Quick Reply: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.