HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry
Old 11-27-2005, 04:55 PM
IrishLad32
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

No disrespect to those suggesting, but screw that snub nose revolver crap. You're working yourself into a situation where you have five or six rounds, maybe seven on some models, and you're out. Even if it is a .357 mag or 38, even a honkin 45 colt-one bullet, one kill. Try reloadin in a tactical situation. With a semiauto and a back up clip, reloading is much simpler.

A solid semiauto would be a better choice. You'll get more rounds, especially with smaller calibers, and they'll be easier to shoot. The recoil on my .45 acp 1911 is nothing compared to a snub nosed .357 magnum. As far as not having much experience with pistols, it's not a factor because it's easy to learn. You'll get some while taking your classes to get your permit, and after you spend some time on the range to become proficient you'll be doing fine.

There is validity to the lack of knock down power in 9mm. The Marines are being reissued 45s and old government models because the M9s aren't getting the job done. A small sized 45 could be a little heavy on the recoil though, but the 40 S&W is pretty nice. A favorite of mine is the Glock 23, it's a compact 40 s&w. Such a gun would be good for concealed carry, plus keep your bases covered should you actually need to use it. Use jacketed hollow points also. They increase the amount of damage inflicted on the person being shot due to the mushrooming of the bullet, and they prevent pass throughs. Full metal jackets will pass through and possibly hit a bystander. That's the scary thing with 9mm, the bullets are narrow and pointy compared to other calibers, so they'll go further and pass through more.

Overall, I'd suggest giong with a basic semiauto in 40 s&w or 45 acp. Shop around for glocks and Springfield XDs, maybe find a used one in good condition. Become familiar with how your firearm works, practice and become proficient, and know the laws of use of force in your state. Also keep in mind that near the border you might come across some drug smuggling activity. Consider having a scattergun with some tactical loads or a rifle with you also.