Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 which gun on opening day? >

which gun on opening day?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

which gun on opening day?

Old 11-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default which gun on opening day?

I've gone back and forth with this and now it's time to choose.
I have a 30-30 and a 270. I have sighted in both guns and they are ready.

I will not have any shot over 100 yards where I will be hunting so distance is not a factor. Shot will most likely be at 40-60 yds
I killed my first deer with the 30-30 last year and have never used the 270 hunting yet
I really like both of these guns

Geez, It's almost like choosing which kid tobring to a game with only 2 tickets.

Man, does any one else ever go through this?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:53 AM

Default RE: which gun on opening day?

depends on how you hunt.if you are going to still hunt 270 walk and stock 3030.I keep a 7mm08 model 7 ready for walking and keep a 270 ready still hunting.and if Im going to power lines or gas line I take a 7mm.but then a gain I rarely do what I plain.good luck
Old 11-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 30-30 has killed countless number of deer over the years but the .270 will out perform it anyday...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your question is, of course, silly. That is, you know and we know that either gun will be entirely satisfactory under the conditions you describe. So . . . the decision is a matter of personal inclination and whim, almost. Now I'm not disparaging or mocking you! I relate to your question quite well. I can go deer hunting with any of my .25-06, .243, and .30-06 -- any of which are entirely satisfactory for my hunting of smallish Oklahoma deer (none of my three deer to date have field dressed over 100 LBS). So I decide what gun to take on personal, almost whimsical grounds. I took my .243 deer hunting last year because I hadn't taken a deer with it yet. I'm taking my .30-06 this year because I have not taken a deer with it and because I hope to use it on a cow elk hunt next year. I could just as readily have decided to use the .25-06. I might choose to use one of these guns simply because it was the one which has been most "neglected" and left sitting lonely in the gun cabinet while the other rifles have been out seeing action. Silly.

Anyway, given the circumstances you describe, if it were me I would take the .270 because you haven't used it to take game yet.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt it is a "silly" question. Both will do the job. I'm not even thinking of performance.
But you know how it is. You plan for opening day. Make sure you have everything you need etc. Then when it comes to choosing the gun that goes out with you and you have 2 or more that will do the job well, which one do you pick?
I am leaning towards the 270 for the same reason you mentioned. I havn't shot a deer with it yet.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 AM

Wow, you guys like to complicate things doncha? There's a very simple solution here: Take both
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 AM

I would take the .270 Winchester rifle. You really don't get much better in the deer hunting arena. If for some reason you do get a long shot you will be much happier with the .270 and if you get all short shots it will do the job just fine. I would notch a deer on the .270, if nothing else, you will build some confidence in the rifle.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Nanook85

Wow, you guys like to complicate things doncha? There's a very simple solution here: Take both
i never go on a hunting trip without 2 rifles... never know what may happen when you are 600 miles from home... plus packing a side arm...

this year it's the 280 and the 35 whelen AI... the 280 has been my go-to big game rifle for a number of years.. but this year the new 35 is gonna get it's chance... the 280 has taken deer and the 35 is a freshly built rifle that i've put a lot of work into.. so time to see if she is worth her salt...
Old 11-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

That would be a good idea. except by the time i decided which one to pick up the deer would be gone
Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well...I don't have a problem with choosing a centerfire...I only own one...Opening day of rifle season here in NC...I took my flintlock...

Quick Reply: which gun on opening day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.