Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 RECOIL-RECOIL..... >

RECOIL-RECOIL.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

RECOIL-RECOIL.....

Old 11-05-2005, 06:49 AM

Default RECOIL-RECOIL.....

I here constant talk of guys afraid of too much recoil on a hunting gun.
When hunting and you have one shot to make the recoil is is not that big of an issue is it ?Get the gun to do the job your looking for first.NOT TALKING ABOUT GUNS FOR TARGET SHOOTING.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: RECOIL-RECOIL.....

In my opinion if a rifle has more recoil than you are comfortable with then trade it for a smaller caliber. chad
Old 11-05-2005, 07:33 AM

Recoil is definitly a factor peole should consider in a Hunting rifle. If you are afraid of the gun when you shoot it, chances are you aint gonna hit what your aiming it, much less be able to take the time to get a good zero. People need to take a close look at what they really need the rifle for, and then go from there. If your going after brown bear, you need to figure out how to handle recoil. I actually kinda enjoy heavy recoiling guns( must have knocked a few screws loose in my head... LOL) but my dad doesnt at all... But my dad has no problem putting deer down quicky with rifles like his 243, and 308. While I prefer to hunt with my 300 win mag... To each his own, thats why there are so many calibers out there

Old 11-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a bad shoulder. Much of it probably caused by a lot of shooting with recoiling rifles. I now stick with rifles that don't hurt me as much as the animal. Most people including me don't mind the kick of a few rounds while hunting but are not going to set at a bench and practice much. I shoot my bigger guns vert little off the bench. Just a few shots before a season to make sure that they are still zeroed in. I do know though from shooting them in the past where they hit at longer range. I am NOW a firm believer in using enough but not to much gun. I wish I had arrived at this point much earlier in life. Take care of that shoulder.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B
I am NOW a firm believer in using enough but not to much gun.
My exact thoughts. What’s the sense in having a rifle with lots of recoil if you don’t enjoy shooting it at the range. To each his own...
Old 11-05-2005, 08:22 AM

I had some shoulder problems also,and dont enjoy shoothing 20-30 rounds to site in.lets admit hunting usally calls for 1 shot.Not that id buy too much of a gun .just get a good cal. with good ,not too expensive bullet selection.30-06-270-308-243-7mm-ect.Im talking of mainly newer hunters that are getting too much information and are confused on what to buy.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 308-30-06 is the Max for me off the bench. Gone are the days that I could fire 20-30 rounds from the 416 Rem Mag from the bench. The 45-70 with heavy loads is one I still use but sparingly. My shooting shoulder is bone on bone I never could have imagined how painful something can be. There is nothing left to seprate the two parts of the joint. My doctor says he see this in a lot of older trap shooter. A friend of mine is a state champion trap shooter and has had both shoulders changed. I can't switch shoulder because I lost the right eye in a construction accident. My next option would be a Encore that I could shoot using my right arm and left eye.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

When hunting and you have one shot to make the recoil is is not that big of an issue is it ?
You logic is a bit flawed. The only way to become proficient with a rifle is to shoot it. If it has too much recoil and you develop a flinch, do you really think you are going to be concentrating on making your shot on the animal? I doubt it.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:58 PM

Yes ,i did not mean to say recoil has no play when hunting.Its just some of the questions by new gun buyers...Is this less recoil than that or that.I feel that recoil should not be the main reason to decide,you dont want to go too small either do you?
also James, sorry to here of your eye,you seam like a great guy
Old 11-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel that recoil should not be the main reason to decide,you dont want to go too small either do you?
Well to a brand new shooter recoil unfortunately can be a main factor in deciding cartridge. You aren't going to start an eight year old kid on a 7mm Rem Mag are you? I think what you are trying to say is there needs to be a balance between performance and felt recoil, but the point is if you can't shoot it off a bench you can't shoot it in the field either. Just a fact of life. I used to laugh at people who worried about recoil. I am 6'7" tall and weigh 260 pounds, so I used to shoot anything with a trigger and not worry about it. That is until my rotator cuff gave out and now I have a shoulder problem similar to James B. I can't even shoot a 308 Win off the bench all day like I used to. Thank goodness for the PAST recoil pad. It spreads the load out and keeps stuff from grinding as bad.

Quick Reply: RECOIL-RECOIL.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.