Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bell & Carlson Stocks >

Bell & Carlson Stocks

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bell & Carlson Stocks

Old 10-07-2002, 01:51 PM

Default Bell & Carlson Stocks

Have any of you replaced the wood stock on your rifle with a synthetic? I am looking at changing out the wooden stock on my Wichester Model 70 to a camo synthetic. The only one I can find is made by Bell & Carlson and is a little steep ($165). It is Mossy Oak and I think it would be great for durability and peace of mind while hunting (not worried about scratches, dings, etc., especially when raising/lowering from tree stand or tripod).

However, are they easy to intall on your gun? Should I have a gunsmith do it? Can you reinstall the original wood later with no consequences?

Here is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ype=index&rid=

Thanks for the input.

Edited by - redfish76 on 10/07/2002 15:04:53
Old 10-07-2002, 05:44 PM

Default RE: Bell & Carlson Stocks

Oh yeah, that's a pretty stock. I put a Bell & Carlson on my Savage 110 about 12 years ago. The shell is layered with kevlar and fiberglass. Solid and heavy duty. I glass bedded the receiver area and the barrel free floats in the channel. They are usually drop in style stocks with almost no fitting for the barreled action. Should just take two minutes to go from wood to synthetic.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Redfish76-If you think $165 is steep don't look at the prices of the real high quality synthetic stocks such as mcmillan,rimrock and h-s precision.You can install the stock yourself but the best results are obtained by glass bedding the action to the stock.

Old 10-07-2002, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Redfish-- it may just be me but I like a wood stock. Those nicks, straches, dings,etc are memories of hunts. Some of the best times of my life. I can show you the ones I got when I fell sheep hunting or the big strach that I got on the Mtn Goat hunt. The blueing is worn from the scabbard on the elk hunts. But the most memorable ones are the first ones--- I was dragging out my Dad's buck & he carried the rifles, well I guess they bumped each other because my stock got marred. He was heart broken--- my brand new rifle & he knicked the stock. That was 35 years ago----you know I wished he had put a few marks on it. Just a thought
Old 10-13-2002, 06:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]