Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hollow Points >

Hollow Points

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hollow Points

Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hollow Points

i am new to rifle shooting, and i would like to know the what the grains of a bullet mean, and and also theres all these bullets that are hollow point, full metal jacket and so on what does all that mean
Old 10-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hollow Points

what the grains of a bullet mean
that is refering to the weight of the bullet, for whitetail deer i like to stay 100gr. or higher mostley i shoot 125, 139/140

go to a shop and have them explain the make-up of the bullets, they all have a specific design for there intended use, some are made for target only, some are designed to do minimal damage, some a lot ofdamage, for deer hunting, a lot of people love ballistic tips, i have had my best luck with partitions, there are so many different types that it would be impossible for me to list all the types, go to some bullet manu. web pages they'll break it down pretty good. best of luck, is this to hunt? if so what kinda critters
Old 10-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here are some of the basics on bullets.

GRAINS... The unit of measurement used to give the weight of a bullet. There are 437.5 grains in one ounce.

JACKET... The material surrounding the inner core of a bullet. Usually made up of copper or a guilding (mixed) metal.

CORE... the inner material of a bullet. Usually made up of lead or lead mixed with other metals to give the lead specific hardnesses.

HOLLOW POINT... any bullet that has a cavity or hole in the point or tip of the bullet. This can range from pure lead bullets to bullets with lead cores and copper jackets to pure copper bullets.

FULL METAL JACKET... Any bullet that has a jacket of material, usually copper, that completely encompases the inner core.

SOFT POINT... Any bullet that uses a lead core and a copper jacket but leaves an exposed lead tip. These can be pointed bullets (spitzer), round nose bullets, or flat nose bullets.

SOLID... any bullet that is entirely made up of a single type of hard metal that is designed to penetrate extremely dense hide, muscle and bone with out expanding.

POLIMER TIPPED... A bullet that uses a plastic tip. The plastic tip prevents deformation when chambering the cartridge and also yields a higher ballistic coefficient (aero dynamics of a bullet) than standard soft point bullets.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:52 PM

if you go to www.remington.com they have a pretty interesting "course" (sp?) that breaks down pretty much everything to do with rifles and bullets and stuff. It's just an online thing, you don't have to pay for it or anything and it's pretty intesting (I've been shooting for a couple years and read a lot up on it and still found it interesting)

Chad
Old 10-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good class Big Bulls. I am sending you a cyber apple.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you. I just got it.

Sure does taste good. Nice and sweet.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:12 PM

You should also know that all hollow points are not the same apple. Some are made to explode on varmints. Many are made for target shooting -and a few of thes alsohave some hunting potential. Some are made just for hunting - like the Sierra HPBT Gameking. Generally, a hollow point bullet will not expand over as wide of a "window" of velocity as a soft nose or polymer tip bullet.