Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help, wife needs a rifle! >

Help, wife needs a rifle!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help, wife needs a rifle!

Old 10-31-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Help, wife needs a rifle!

Ok, my wife has been really interested in hunting lately and I want to get her a gun for Christmas this year. The cartridge will be either a .260 or 7mm-08 and it will have to be a youth/mountain gun because she is small. I have a list of choices I have came up with, but cant decide. Price doesnt really matter because they are all within $100 of each other. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I want something that will last her a lifetime.

Browning a-bolt micro
Remington model 7 youth
Ruger m77 compact
Weatherby vanguard compact
Remington 700 Mountain gun
Winchester Model 70 featherweight

If anyone knows any others please let me know. Right now I am leaning towards the Browning.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help, wife needs a rifle!

I would avoid the browning for the simple reason that the a-bolts seem to transmit more recoil to the shooter than any other rifle that I have fired with the exception of the ruger ultralight.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand you wanting a smaller sized youth-type stock for a person of smaller stature. But don't think that this will make the gun a whole lot more comfortable to shoot. Fit is extremely important but a smaller and lighter gun will allow the transfer of more recoil. If this is not a concern and price is not a concern I'd take her to the retailer with the largest selection and have her shoulder as many as possible. Then, if you belong to a gun club, ask around to see if anybody has some of the modelsshe found comfortable and you could probably get a chance to have her put some rounds through several styles and types.
You mention many nice guns, but a Winchester featherweight in .260 OR 7mm/08 would be a sweet package. And then it would be worthwhile having a competent smith fit the stock to her custom.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Chavist, I shoot a Ruger M77 in 6.5mmSwede and love it. The .243,.260, 6.5mm,7mm-08, .308have the same case. The .260, 6.5mm and the 7mm-08 are real close in performance. You ask the question about .260 or 7mm-08, I gowould with the 7mm-08!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

welcome chavist93, i bought my wife a rem model 7 s/s in rem 260, when i started looking i could not find a 7mm-08, which i wanted because i already re-load some 7mm stuff, well couldn't find a single one in town and the only place i could find to order one was mysteriously 140$ more than the s/s in other calibers on the shelf[:@], i told a friend my delima and he mentioned that he had been thinking of selling his model 7 in 260, well long story short i bought it and got a decent deal andhave not regretted it in the least, i believe i would still rather have the -08 simply because of already loading the 7mm and having to buy extra bullets for the .260, BTW my wife weighs 5'3" 120's and my 90# grandson will shoot this thing all day, recoil is very minimum, it is a real pleasure to shoot,,,

best of luck, let us know what ya git
Old 10-31-2005, 09:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

My wife shoots a Remington 700 Classic in 250 Savage. There is not a better soft kicking rifle made. Of course you can't find one any more. I would lean toward the Model Seven.I don't know what all its chambered in. The 6.5x55 as RH says is another very gentle but darn effective round. My wife will shoot My swede as well. She also likes my 7MM-08 in the NEF youth Model. The best 225 dollar rifle made.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm 08 HoweverI would let the wife pick her rifle, as what you ORwethink might not be the same as hers! Mypick for which you have listedwould be the 700 rem mountain rifle.

Best of luck!

Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

My Godson shoots the A-Bolt Micro in 260. He is 11 years old and weighs 88 lbs. He shoots factory 120 gr. BT's and has absolutely no problem with the recoil. He has actually made a 250 yard shot on a doe this past youth hunt. I measured the distance with my range finder after the fact. Your wife will have no problem with the Browning and it is the best looking of the bunch you listed. Any of the rifles you listed will work well with the 260.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

A-bolt has more kick???? What are you talking about.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

I give my eye teeth to have the problem of my wife needing a rifle! A good problem to have. EJ

Quick Reply: Help, wife needs a rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.