Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good long-range deer calibers. >

Good long-range deer calibers.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good long-range deer calibers.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:42 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

OK, he was right on the Rem. .243 mountain rifle and he
made a mistake on 5grs on the ammo. Come on, give the guy a break?
As often as he mentions that he works for remington,you would think that he would know the bullet weight.

True, True!!
Well, he sure does make a decent shaver. I like that new gel thing.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:25 PM

ok ok so i guessed wrong it is 180 grain but that is for a weatherby,if you ask me about aremington gun or type of ammunition i'll bet you i wont be wrong
Old 11-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: superslam

ok ok so i guessed wrong it is 180 grain but that is for a weatherby,if you ask me about aremington gun or type of ammunition i'll bet you i wont be wrong
"GUESSED WRONG".If you have to guess what ammunition you are using in your own gun,how do you expectanyone take you seriously.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:27 AM

you people just don't give up do ya. i mistakenly said 185 when it was accually 180 and you would have thought i called your mother a bad name
Old 11-02-2005, 05:17 AM
Host of Hosts

How much does ammunition for a .257 Weatherby cost? Weatherby Catalog says $41 for 20 but I know WalMart usually has ammo cheaper. 30-06 is sounding like the best choice, or maybe 7mm. Definatly not .338 I don't wanna wind up off the bench when I fire it.
Since I didn't see this question answered, I'll answer it for you. Walmart won't ususally carry this ammunition or many other "unpopular" brands. They don't even carry 280 Rem, and its popularity has been growing lately. I say listen to your grandpa and buy the 30.06. I'm sure his years of experience count for something. Although there are alot of very knowledgable guys on this site your gonna get some biased opinions on which calibers are the "best whitetail guns". You sound like a great kid and it's good to see you doing some research before you decide on a rifle, but try not to get into the "bigger is better" mindset. Some guys can shoot the big guns without developing a flinch, but MOST can't. I've seen this time and time again during range time during one of our classes on basic rifle training. Go look around at the local shops get the rifle that FITS you best and you feel MOST comfortable with. Then pick either the 7mm08, 270, 280 or Grandpa's choice the 30.06. Good Luck
Old 11-02-2005, 06:51 AM

All the Walmarts carry most of the Weatherby caliber ammo, but its not a good selection and theres never very much of it. I don't think I'm gonna go with a Weatherby cartridge. Too much cost and in the bigger sizes, too much kick for me to shoot without flinching, which I would like to stay without. I think I've narrowed it down to 7mm Rem Mag or 30-06. What are some good lightweight guns that wouldnt be a burden to carry all day hunting?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:03 AM

Get the -06. You can buy commercially loaded ammo for the -06 that will match the 7mm mag in preformance. How much of a light weight are we talking here? Also how much punishment are you willing to take from a light weight rifle in the recoil department? I would think any of the good commercially avaible bolts (700, m70, savage,ect,) would fit the bill here for a first hunting rifle in their plain vanila configuration (either SS or blued.)
Old 11-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

The tikka t-3 is a fairly light rifle at a reasonable price.Additionally all tikka rifles must shoot 1" groups at 100 yards before leaving the factory so the odds of getting an accurate one are very high.Do not buy a 30-06 thinking that you can simplyuse the hi-energy loads to provide 7mmremmag performance.They are as costly as 7mmremmag ammunition,are limited in selection,and do not shootaccurately in many guns.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:08 AM

I've been looking at ballistics tables and long range is really where the 7mm excells. I think it is because of the longer bullets. The -06 drops off faster and loses energy at longer range. I don't plan on handloading, so factory loads would be what I use, and 7mm factory loads are more powerful. Power isn't all I'm concerned about, but whent the shells are close tot he same price, kick the same in a similar gun and are more powerful, I think 7mm has me sold.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:11 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: superslam

you people just don't give up do ya. i mistakenly said 185 when it was accually 180 and you would have thought i called your mother a bad name
Just havin some fun at your expense

Quick Reply: Good long-range deer calibers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.