Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good long-range deer calibers. >

Good long-range deer calibers.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good long-range deer calibers.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 AM

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

Lets clear this up a little, I tried to reply to Spikes question maybe you should read his question again. He was aware of the .270,. 30.06 & and he wanted MORE power and recoil was a not factor. As I said the 270 30.06 .308 & 30.30 etc will probably acount for 70+ % of deer kills in North America this year all thesecartridges arevery good for dear and larger animals, and have proven them selves over the years, and the years to come.
I have hunted for 45 years this year, and have never missed getting a deer, hunting in western Quebec Canada and have shot deer with 21 different guns and they all killed, I have seen some good size deer 326lbs field dressed and lots in the upper 200lbs, my brother shot one with a 31.5/8"wide rack,some times in late day when light is getting low you do not have time to get closer, and I have had many shots over 300 and up to 500+ yards and a .280 I sold last year did a excellent job.it was the best factory made gun I have ever seen Rem 700 280 express 22' barrel light load of 4831 53 grs 150 nosler1/2 just bedded and worked on trigger a little.
But this new gun I had made up by Hart is a better gun in 7mmwsm, there is no 06, .270 or .280 will match the performance you get with it and it shoots tighter than any other gun I have owned, I only tryed a couple of powders as I did not have time before season opened and 4831s/c was great 67grs with 140gr noslers under.125" 3 shots .I am sure the the short stubb cases are better than the long cases. Look what the 6ppc did to the 222 Rem records and take a look at what the benchrest guys and gals are doing with the .284-260 cal pretty good long range guns and the 7mmwsm has some records now as well. Go to www.shortmags.com and see the groups these wsm are getting with factory guns.I sold a Rem 700 with a 26" Hart barrel in 30.06 it was great but 1/2" was about it. and theres no 06 will shoot as flat as the 7mmwsm. And it will make a dandy moose gun.
Spike go with one of the wsm and you won't be looking back. Good Luck

Old 11-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just because one rifle in 7MM WSM shoots tiny groups does not by any means mean that the next one will. Accuracy is built into the rifle not the caliber. The 7MM WSM will always lag behind the standard 7MM Mags because it does not have the powder capacity of the larger 7 Mags. It will do well with the lighter bullets but you can't defy physics. There is a trade off for the short case. Heavier bullets have to be seated to deep in order to work and that robs the WSM of powder capacity. The reloading manuals point that out and the 7MM WSM is the most effected. I don't know why unless its that the 284 caliber bullets are long. Anyway my manuals state that this is one of the reasons that the 7MM WSM is lagging badly in sales when compared to the 270 and 300 WSM's. The 270 and 300 WSM's are here to stay but I think the 7 is on its way out. Only time will tell. Were I to need a 7 Mag, I would go with the Remington Mag.

Winchester has done a good job of hyping the short mag and there is nothing wrong with them as long as one realizes that there is, as always, a trade off. They do all they can with what they have but will never equal the long versions when it comes to heavy bullets. Also the 300 Win Mag is one of the most accurate cartridges ever developed and rifles in that caliber do not take a back seat to the the stubbies. If more power is needed the 300 Win Mag would be the better choice. It has more power. Still need MORE? the 30-378 and 300 RUM have even more yet. Be sure that recoil is not an issue here though.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:16 AM

You are right on very well explained, I know I tryed a few Lost River Bullets in 140gr they are much longer than the noslers, and seat much deeper, causing a powder, compaction and will have a big affect on velocity.
I have never seen the .30/378 but it must be something else, a truly long range thunder stick. I don't think I would be able to handle recoil and not be flinching on a 5 shot grouping let alone trying a 1000 yard 10 shot try.
It is sad to see the7mmwsm to die as it as so many better bullet choices, than the .270 I guess the history of the .270 over the years makes the .270wsm the bigger seller, as one member said if the .280 had been brought out ahead of the .,270 Jack Oconnor would have used it, and the .270 would have never made it.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Tykempster,
To answer your ? about a good long range gun, I would suggest the .30-06. The '06 has a wide range of uses for big game(predators to Grizzlies)and seems to have a good reputation among hunters, with the ability to reach longer yardages(anything over 150 yards)with enough down range energy alongwith a well placed vitals shot to kill any North American big game. The range of available loads is pretty large, I have seen 110 grain loads and as heavy as 220 grains which was marked as Dangerous game ie African. Hope this helps out

Kpatte26
Old 11-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Manitou, how is the recoil on the wsm's you have shot comparedto the standard cals?
Old 11-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Hi Doe Dumper in answer to your question, recoil is more than a 30.06 BDL Rem I have, how much mabe 20% or a little more, but my 7mmwsm weighs 7 1/2 lbs where the 3006 weighs closer to 9lbs shooting 58gr of 4350
in 30.06.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:40 PM

Youare all forgeting about the .308 it is the perfect all around rifle.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:26 PM

Not sure that anyone noticed, but I went ahead and bought a Svage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. It's sweet shooting and recoil isn't an issue at all. I decided this was the best combination for long range power and accuracy along with shells that weren't too expensive. The discussion is still great so keep it up, I just won't be buying another gun soon.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Manitou sounds like they would be close in equal weight guns. Tyke did you get the accu-trigger model? You made a pretty good choice sounds like.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Yes it has Accu-Trgger, boy its crisp.

Quick Reply: Good long-range deer calibers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.