Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good long-range deer calibers. >

Good long-range deer calibers.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good long-range deer calibers.

Old 11-20-2005, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

Stuble has his own opinions, there is certainly nothing wrong with that. Ones own ideas are what contributes to this forum.. OK so he is not always right
Old 11-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

300 remington ultra mag
Old 11-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Personally best gun for the money is an old WWII Mauser 98 8mm Mauser Ammunition. Easily able to kill deer out to 400+ yards. Very managable recoil and ammunition is not that expensive. I shoot mine open sights and you can take out a 2 liter at 250 yards with it open sights. The accuracy is there, the prices is there, and the power is there. They are very comparable to the 30-06 though. So with that being said if you have a particular rifle you absolutly like that is chambered for 30-06 it will do anything the 8mm will do and the 8mm will do anything the 30-06 will do but good luck finding a accurate rifle for under 200 dollars in the 30-06.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:05 PM

Well, I used to believe that a big caliber didn't make up for a bad shot...until yesterday. I was at my great uncles with some other hunters during lunch when we saw some deer about 200-250 yards away across the road. My cousin got all excited and instead of getting a good shot off he stood up and freehanded it with his 300 WM. One of the deer dropped on the spot. We figured he must have made a spine or headshot, but when we got there he went straight through the guts, didn't hit anything tha should've brought it down that fast. I think the bigger caliber might have made the difference.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: tykempster

Well, I used to believe that a big caliber didn't make up for a bad shot...until yesterday. I was at my great uncles with some other hunters during lunch when we saw some deer about 200-250 yards away across the road. My cousin got all excited and instead of getting a good shot off he stood up and freehanded it with his 300 WM. One of the deer dropped on the spot. We figured he must have made a spine or headshot, but when we got there he went straight through the guts, didn't hit anything tha should've brought it down that fast. I think the bigger caliber might have made the difference.
yea, maybe, but likely pure luck. I wouldn't do or say anything to encourge that type of stuff.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:54 AM

I'm not saying it was a good shot but I don't think a .243 would've taken it down like that.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen some pretty amazing kills with terrible shot placement using several cartridges.In the vast majority of cases it comes down to pure luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt tnat the caliber had a thing to do with it. Most any caliber will tear up the guts on a deer and sometimes they drop on the spot and sometimes they run. I have hit deer through the vitals with a 300 Weatherby Mag and had them run 50-75 yards.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:07 AM

what about that .308?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ACutting - May I ask why someone was shooting across a road? Was this on private property? I thought shooting across a public road was illegal. Please explain.

Quick Reply: Good long-range deer calibers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.