Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Show Advice? >

Gun Show Advice?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Show Advice?

Old 10-11-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Gun Show Advice?

I'm going to a local gun show this weekend and am definitely in the market for a gun. Nothing fancy, probably a used Marlin 30-30 with a fixed scope, if I can find one. I'm not looking for the best deal in the universe, but am looking for a good condition used gun. I've looked at a few in local pawn shops and gun shops as well as on-line auctions so I have a good idea of what the general price should be.

Any advice? I've never purchased a used gun except from reputable shops - reputable meaning the type of shops that you can have a lot of confidence that you're getting good condition firearms that won't give you any surprises and they'll back what they sell. I'm looking for advice on potential pitfalls with gun show sales and what to be aware of.

As usual, thanks!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun Show Advice?

I will second the bore light suggestion. Make sure that the bore is shiny with no crud, rust, or pits. Make sure that the crown isn't dinged up. Make sure that the rifling is square and not rounded over.

Cycle the action and feel for any binding, rough spots, etc... If you can get some dummy rounds take them with you and feed them onto the magazine tube and cycle a full mag through the gun a few times.

Cycle the action and look to make sure that the hammer rotates past the point where it engages the sear. You want the hammer to over rotate and then rotate back foward to engage the sear when you work the lever. This ensures that the hammer engages the sear every time rather than missing it and having the hammer follow the bolt down.

With the hammer fully cocked push the hammer foward to make sure that the sear and hammer engagements are not worn our and/ or no one has messed with the trigger in a bad way. Also do this from the half cock (safety) position.

Look for cracks in the stock at the tang (part of metal that sticks into the wood).

Make sure that the screw slots are nice and crisp with good edges. If the owner can't unscrew a screw with out buggering it up then you may not want the gun if that person has been inside it.

If you are looking for one that is in original condition and not refinished then also look to make sure that the screw holes are not washed out and that all of the lettering on the barrel is crisp with sharp edges. By washed out I mean one side will be sharp and the other side will be rounded over. This is caused from polishing wheels getting into the holes and removing metal from one side of a hole/ letter. Either way I wouldn't want a gun with washed out holes as it really makes a gun look like crap.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, if they won't let you examine the firearm in detail then don't buy it. I don't mean take it completely apart but a good reasonable going over shouldn't be a problem for a person selling a firearm if they aren't trying to hide something.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:45 PM

Thank you so much for your advice guys.

I already have a good idea of what a good price should be (verified by your advice) and never have problems with making an offer and walking away from a negotiation, whatever the deal. Bottom line is I don't need to save the last $25 and will be happy with a fair price if I see what I want - I'd rather find what I like for a fair price than search another month to save a few bucks.

Thanks also for the technical/inspection points. I've been looking at some used guns recently, and am happy to say that I've muddled through most (but not all) of the points you made sometimes almost unconsciously. I'm especially happy to get the advice on specific checks for a lever action, having only owned bolts, pumps and semi-auto rifles and shotguns so far. I'm printing a check list!

What is a bore light? I have a mini mag flashlight and some medical pen lights. I'm thinking this is something different? Should I be able to find one at local gun shop?

Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

A bore light is any device that directs light into the bore so that you may inspect it better.

They range from simple bent fiber optics or plastic rods that use and bend ambient light

to flashlights with "wands" on the end to bend the light into the bore,

to one that has a flexable wand with a LED on the end made by stylus and Coast cutlery.

Yew you should be able to find one at a local gun shop. Walmart carries the Coast model in the pic in the fishing section. Walmart also carries an adapter that attached to the bell of your mag light that has a long flexable fiber optic to direct the light.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the photos. I'll pick one up. I'm assuming then you just shine the light in the chamber andinspect the bore through the muzzle?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a rifle like that, I'd keep an eye out in newspaper classifieds. This is where you will find sellers who have tried selling their rifle to a gunshop and will be willing to sell it to you for $200 when the gunshop would only give them $110 for a perfectly good rifle. Gunshops value used rifles by giving you the price that is 3 grades down. If you bring one in that's in a 98% condition, they'll offer to buy it at 'fair condition' price.

Go to gunshows if you are looking for overpriced hunting rifles that the owner 'improved' by poorly refinishing the stocks with tru-oil, or if you are looking to buy beef jerky, or if you are looking to buy home made jewelry, or if you are looking to buy neo-nazi books and t-shirts, or if you are looking to buy the latest incarnation of Ginsu knives, or if you are looking to buy cheap poorly made holsters, or if you are looking to buy.... well you get the point.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

or if you are looking to buy beef jerky, or if you are looking to buy home made jewelry, or if you are looking to buy neo-nazi books and t-shirts, or if you are looking to buy the latest incarnation of Ginsu knives, or if you are looking to buy cheap poorly made holsters, or if you are looking to buy.... well you get the point.
Yep, too many "gun" shows aren't even worth the price of admission any more.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Briman

For a rifle like that, I'd keep an eye out in newspaper classifieds. ...

... Go to gunshows if you are looking for overpriced hunting rifles that the owner 'improved' by poorly refinishing the stocks with tru-oil, or if you are looking to buy beef jerky, or if you are looking to buy home made jewelry, or if you are looking to buy neo-nazi books and t-shirts, or if you are looking to buy the latest incarnation of Ginsu knives, or if you are looking to buy cheap poorly made holsters, or if you are looking to buy.... well you get the point.
I've been watching the want ads too and will continue if there's nothing worth while at the gun shop. I'm a life long want ad shopper.My starting point is always thatused stuff, even if perfect, is worth 1/2 the best local price for new. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but that's my starting point until I know better.

I've never gone to a gun show, so will go just to see how it is, but understand your precautions and they don't surprise me from what I've heard.

Hey, I've always wanted to find a copy of the Turner Diaries! (after reading the book on Tim McVeigh - any more of my opinions on him and his psychopathicbuddies - we'll have to move to politics).
Old 10-16-2005, 01:44 PM

Just a quick update and thanks for your advice.

Bought a great looking Marlin. The serial number places it as a 1976 model - significant (maybe?) because it doesn't have a safety. I dont' know if that's a good or bad thing. Doesn't bother me because I don't know If I'd trust a safety with the hammer pulled full back anyway - I'd probably use the middle position as safety anyway.

Ironic part was I went and found a little bore light like recommended, but somehow the thing was turned on in the pocket of my jacket overnight and was dead when I needed it! I used a little led light I had and the bore looked OK, but really the gun looked virtually unused and I'm pretty confident the bore will not be an issue.

Anyway, the barrel and action and act look virtually unused - bluing with virtually no blemishes or wear marks. The stock is beautiful, except there's some scuff marks on the butt. No cracks or structural defects.

I'm happy. Now, I gotta find a good quality scope (I've decided on a fixed good quality scope).

I'll be posting some other questions in different forums, but I wanted to say thanks again and report on success.

Quick Reply: Gun Show Advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.