Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Burris or Leupold >

Burris or Leupold

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Burris or Leupold

Old 10-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Burris or Leupold

ORIGINAL: Ark City Larry

Burris...don't be a Lupie snob!
Don't be ignorant.....make your choice based on quality...just as most Leupold owners do....

If you think the Burris suits you better then go with it.....Lower end scopesare not reallyLeupolds forte to begin with.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:05 AM

Thanks guys for all the input. I ordered the Burris FFII 3-9x50mm. I ordered it from www.riflescopes.com very nice people and the best prices. The scope should be here tommorrow.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 AM

I'm a Leupold owner. However, next time I'm in the market, I'll definitely check out others since I've learned there are excellent alternatives at all of the price-points of Leupold scopes.

One question: warranty. What are people's actual experience with Burris lifetime warranty? I am SO pleased with warranty service that Leupold gives. They have a lifetime, noquestions asked warranty that applies to any owner, not only the original owner. I boughtmy Leupoldscope used in 1988. No proof of purchase. I sent it in for a general going over a couple of years ago. They completely went through it and sent it back EXPRESS for no charge. They prioritized it because I had a time deadline for a hunt and turned it around in 48 hours. There is absolutely no way I could have gotten better service, and I understand this is business as usual for Leupold. This is worth something and has made me a loyal customer - Although I have no doubt there are scopes as good as Leupold, maybe even as good and also cheaper. But, I'll have to be sold that any other scope is not only a better scope, but has as good service after the sale. Just a thought on something that also adds value to a scope.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:30 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: zekeskar
One question: warranty. What are people's actual experience with Burris lifetime warranty? I am SO pleased with warranty service that Leupold gives.
Burris's warranty sucks.Called Tech Support about a black diamond moving twice theMOA listed.He said without anything else, "No its not". I explained further. Again, "Nope your wrong". I couldnt' believe I was being treated this way.Didn't bother sending it back, justunloaded it.

Second issue. got a signature series 6-24 target scope. It only had like 24MOA adjustment. Called complaining that that is silly for a "target" scope with turrets to have limited range and their biggest competitor has like 50MOA. Said there's nothing wrong with it, thats the reasonthey put out signature series rings withdifferent inserts. if you ever played around with those signature series to get maximum dynamic range out of elevation, you know what I am talking about.

Forget them.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:21 PM

The FullfielII is a better scope than the VX. I believe the Burris scopes are made by Pentax so they are high quality. But the VX2 is much better than the VX1
okcmco
Old 10-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't speak for the burris company cause I've never owned one of their scopes.... but I hear good things about the Burris products.

I would say I always look for good optics, of course, but also want a good combination of eye relief, lightwieght, small size, and warranty service without questions. I have found all those with Leupold.

I still think I screwed up not buying a Burris FF2 from a buddy that was almost giving it away. Somebody else bought it while I dragged my feet.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 PM

I own 2 Burris Fullfield 4.5X14 scopes with the BP Reticle and they are quite amazing to say the least....No more guesswork on 400 yard shots. I also own 3 Leupolds that are good scopes. The VXIII in 4X14 is a dandy, however if you are looking for low light performance the Zeiss Conquest outshines them all.....by far!!!! You can find them on E-Bay NIB for nearly the same price. Regards, Rick.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe a scope is only as good as the customer service backing it. For any number of reasons even a top of the line scope could break unexpectedly. I can accept that as reality.

However, when a scope does break I expect the manufacturer to do everything possible to facilitate replacing that scope in as little time as possible.

Any manufacturer that can not replace my scope in matter of a few days,(10-14 days), is not worth doing business with in my mind. I spend far too much money on my hunting gear and trips to be at the mercy of scope manufacturer that either treats me poorly when I need to return a product, or can not do it in a reasonable time period. The thought that anyone would do this to save a few a dollars is almost laughable. (admittedly most buyers don't know they are doing until it is too late).

For that reason alone I could never purchase a Burris product. I have spoken with a number of individuals who have repeatedly stated that Burris's customer service is absoulutely horrible.

Here is a case in fact...

On Wendesday September 28, a friend of mine returned from a succesful pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. Upon opening his rifle case he found that both his scopes on his two rifles had been smashed while in transit.

One scope was a Burris the other was a Sightiron.

SightIron..

He was able to email Sightiron. They answered him that day and told him to send it in, and they would simply mail him a new one. The new scope arrived in his hands the following Friday October 07!

Burris...

Here is his exact comments...
Burris - SUCKS!

A call to customer service and I quickly found out that I know NOTHING about shooting a gun. Nothing is wrong with the scope, I'm just an incompetent shooter..

After being totally insulted, I finally got approval to send it in..
To this day he has not heard the current status of his new scope...

Needless to say, that alone is enough reason to never buy a Burris productfor me. I would gladly pay the extra money and purchase a better Leupold.

JC
Old 10-14-2005, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting burris scopes for several years now and like them very much but I am starting to rethink about them.
Believe it was year before last I bought another one of their 3x9 BP FF-2,well it went south on me sent it back,they said they repaired it sent it back to me did the same thing (wouldn't hold zero) so I sent it back and was told to address it to a certain fellow,After they got it back he said he didn't know how it had gotten out as fixed the first time said they put new parts in it the second time.
2 weeks ago I blew up a 4x14 PB FF-2 on a muzzleloader,sent it back but haven't gotten it back yet But the reason I thought I would add my 2 cents here is that I puechased a new Signature in 3x12 to replace the 4x14 on the muzzleloader because I knew I wouldn't get it back before hunting season.Well I zeroed it in last week but was shooting it yesterday to check the zero again and decided to move it one click to the left,I couldn't believe it this is not a low priced scope and they had a up and down knob on the side adjustment. and a up and down knob on the hight adjustment.
All this tells me that they have a QC problem.
I am going to call them today and see if they will send me the right knob if I can change it myself.As long as I own it there is no big problem but if I decided to sell it would probly have a problem getting top price out of it.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

After the response I got from Burris after inquiring about them changing to overseas production and still claiming made in USA it will be a cold day in heck before I ever even consider anything they make. F em!

Quick Reply: Burris or Leupold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.