Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ithaca and cantilever barrels >

Ithaca and cantilever barrels

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ithaca and cantilever barrels

Old 10-08-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Ithaca and cantilever barrels

My first question is are ithaca barrels any good? I'm looking for a barrel for my 870 and they seem to make the least expensive one with a canilever scope mount. My other question is do cantilever barrels have a problem with holding their Point of Impact I've heard that just the slightest bump will change your point of impact
Old 10-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ithaca and cantilever barrels

From everything I've ever heard about Ithaca's rifled shotgun barrels their suppose to be pretty good. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble when knocking the scope/cantilever mount within reason. If you drop the gun all together and it falls on the scope I think you might have some problems. The same go's with any type on scope mount set up. I've never had any trouble with mine. Just one more thing. If you want and can get an Ithaca barrel you better get one while you can. Ithaca went out of business AGAIN!
Old 10-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ithaca and cantilever barrels

The concept behind a cantilever scope is that the scope is mounted to the barrel. Therefore if the POI of the gun is changed as a result of a loose fit with the reciever, the scope moves with it. Theoretically this should nullify any changes in the POI.

The reality is that it only works to a small degree. For example, instead of your POI moving an inch, the cantilever scope may reduce the effectto be only a 1/4 inch when shooting through the scope.

The real determinent in how much your POI is likely to move is how tightly your new barrel mates with the reciever. The cantilever will simply help reduce the effects of any POI change by moving your sight picture with it.

And Yes, in most switch barrel guns all it takes is a small bump to cause a change in POI. This is the reason bolt action and single shots are dominating the dedicated slug gun market.