Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

blooper

Old 10-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default blooper

a good friend of mine just bought a used ruger a couple months back. i think it was a m77, if there is such a thing. its a 30.06 bolt action. i'd never shot ruger until he brought it on a dove hunt last week. he wanted to make sure the sites were good for him. the person he bought it from set the scope an inch high at 100yds. dito! it was on. bad thing about it was he forgot to mention he had the trigger pull lightened....... a bunch. now my buddy's brother has a perfect hole through thepassenger's side doorof his new pick up. LOL. no one was hurt, but when my buddy went to close the bolt after loading it, the hammer fell and bang, now his truck whistles going down the road. i told mybuddy he might get that trigger pull fixed before he took it on his elk hunt this year.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:32 AM

Default RE: blooper

The former owner created (or had someone create) an unsafe trigger in that rifle. Ruger triggers are not adjustable - so someone has re-worked the standard trigger to lighten it - and gone TOO far. ANY bolt-action rifle that will slam-fire (go off as the bolt is closed) is VERY dangerous !!! DO NOT shoot a rifle that will do this !!! Whoever did the "trigger job" didn't properly test for safety - and thus created an accident, waiting to happen (as has ALREADY happened). PLEASE DEMAND that your friend have this rifle repaired, BEFORE ever shooting it again.
The real risk is that, next time, the round will actually go off, BEFORE the bolt is fully locked (in "battery") - and this will most likely destroy the rifle - and may well severely injure (or kill) your friend. This is NOT something to take lightly !!!

If the original trigger has been so- doctored - it is ruined. Fortunately, there are aftermarket replacement triggers available. A Timney adjustable trigger (or several other brands) can be installed, which is adjustable and can be made quite comfortable in use, while still being safe. These are not terribly expensive.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't agree more....have it inspected and replace the trigger if necessary. Don't even take it to the range to check it....it is not worth it to toy with it. Unless you are a smith that works on triggers I'd leave it to a pro.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The guy that was holding the gun when it shot the hole in the vehicle:...was he practicing safe muzzle control?
JEEEEEZZZZZZZ...
Old 10-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys, i didn't know that about rugers not having an ajustable trigger. i'll give him a call today. i have triggers adjusted on my rifles before and never felt anything like his before. about the safe muzzle control... the brother that was locking the bolt when it was fired was setting on the passengers side with the door open going to use the door for a rest. thanks again. i guess this isnt as funny as i thought! thanks again.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont know where you could go to find such info- But i am pretty sure that model ruger rifle had a safety recall notice( going off when being closed? or taking off the safety?) not sure ..) a few yrs back -dont know what years rifles where affected or ifthe one you speaking of in the the above story is one of them . But The repaired ones are suppose to have a T engraved on the bolt handle.

I have one/ a m 77 & it has the T .