Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 grizzly backup gun >

grizzly backup gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

grizzly backup gun

Old 09-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Default grizzly backup gun

O.K. guys, here's the thing. Lets say your on a bow hunting trip for Alaskan brown bears and you get two choices for your backup gun. Would it be a bolt action .243 (with any bullet you chose), or would you pick a Winchester 94 30-30 (any bullet). Me? I'd pick the 30-30 simply because I could shoot a lot quicker at close range if he charged me. You?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: grizzly backup gun

I carry a Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag/71/2" bbl as a
side arm and BLR .358 when Elk in high country.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:01 PM

I wouldn't consider either as a back up firearm for an angry bear. Of the two though I think I would opt for the 30-30 with the nasiest bullets you can find for it.

In my opinion both are ok for deer, but that would be my limit, certainly not bear. I consider the 243 to be more of a varmint, small/medium game type weapon.

I would use a 12 gauge slug gun if you have one rather than the two rifles you mentioned.

Just my opinion any way. I don't bear though.

Paul
Old 09-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I wouldn't consider either as a back up firearm for an angry bear. Of the two though I think I would opt for the 30-30 with the nasiest bullets you can find for it.

In my opinion both are ok for deer, but that would be my limit, certainly not bear. I consider the 243 to be more of a varmint, small/medium game type weapon.

I would use a 12 gauge slug gun if you have one rather than the two rifles you mentioned.

Just my opinion any way. I don't bear though.

Paul
ditto. i wouldn't necessarilly want either of those. if you can't get anything larger get a 12 with tons of slugs and buckshot.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:19 PM

I've killed a grizzly at 35 yards & neither of your choices are a good backup gun for bear. Etiher of those will kill a griz, but that is the problem. The issue gets discussed all the time. The real issue is not killing a bear, but stopping a bear. Those are two totally different issues. My idea of a backup gun is very high powered handgun that I can fire rapidly at say 10 feet. I want something I can possibly squeeze off while I'm rolling around on the ground getting eaten.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I were bow hunting I certainly wouldn't be carrying around a rifle no matter what it was chambered for.

I would be packing a double action revolver wuch as the Ruger Alaskan in 454 casull or 480 Ruger or a S&W 629 with a 3" barrel in 44 mag.

If I had only those two to choose from I probably wouldn't even bother with them. I would rather have some pepper spray.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:10 PM

I agree with bigbulls. I would have to opt for a good hand cannon over a rifle. And neither of those rifles would be adaquit in my mind to stop a bear.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can I buy a vowel?? No way I'd wanna try to knock a pizzed off grizz down with any of the above. Although if I had my arm twisted...Id have to say 30-30 and try to load a 300 gr flat nose and see if I could push it at least 2500 fps
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 PM

Hope your good with the bow, cause either of those calibers aren't much better than a stick n string against an angry bear. I've heard stories of a charging grizz. shrugging off several aught 6 rounds before one found the the brain. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second Paul's choice. A shotgun with 00 buck shot and plenty of shells.

Quick Reply: grizzly backup gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.