Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

grizzly backup gun

Old 09-29-2005, 02:42 AM

Default RE: grizzly backup gun

If all you have is the 30-30 then that is what I would use for back up. I would absolutely make sure to look into hand loaded or higher pressure rounds for it though. You are going to want the heaviest cast bullet you can find. You won't want to be firing fast expanding soft points at a grizzly.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

This may put into perspective how under powered the 30-30 is for brown bears. I worked with a guy that shot a 550 lbs black bear 2 times in the chest with a 30-30, his hunting partner heard the shots and shot the bear with his 06 killing it. They were disputing who actually killed the bear. When they skinned the bear both 30-30 round were found mushroomed against the bears chest but did not penetrate into the vitals. Now Iconcide that had the 30-30 shot the bear behind the shoulder it probably would had done the job, but a backup gun will by definition require a frontal chest shot on a charging bear and I just dont thinkeither roundcan do what you are asking it to do. If you cannot afford or borrow a 12 gauge I would rather have a sharp spear or better yet a bayonett on on the rifle because you will need it.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:30 PM

243 or 30-30 for back up gun on grizzly bears, eh?

Leave both at home an buy a can of bear spray!

If you just HAVE to take either one, then be sure to file down the front sight smooth to the barrel and keep the muzzle coated with vaseline.... [:'(][:'(]
Old 09-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

[align=center][/align]
[*]9 Ounce Supersize with shotgun fogger delivery.[*]Range of spray: Approximately 15-20 feet.[*]Dimensions: Height: 8-3/4" x Width: 2"[*]An invincible 20% ultra hot pepper spray.[*]Absolutely the most effective and powerful bear defense spray available today.[*]This product has proven so effective that it is the only one registered with the EPA as a repellent for ALL SPECIES of bears![*]Environmentally safe! Does not contain flammable or ozone depleting substances.[*]Our formula is scientifically proven superior, and endorsed by the Alaska Science & Technology Foundation.[*]Six years of extensive testing in the wilds of Alaska.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't put much faith in either a 30-30 or 243 for the bruins.Invest in a short barreled handgun chambered in the 454 Casull or the 480 Ruger. Youmight consider a S&W 500or 460.Ruger's Alaskan was designed as a back up gun.A powerhouse in a small package.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

If you just HAVE to take either one, then be sure to file down the front sight smooth to the barrel and keep the muzzle coated with vaseline.... [:'(][:'(]
why not just use bacon grease hopefully then he'll purposely take it into his mouth unstead of having to force it in.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:34 PM

GUYS! First of all this isn't a real life scenario. I'm not EVEN GOING GRIZZLY HUNTING! I was only wondering what gun you would chose BETWEEN THE TWO. Just pick one of the two guns, 30-30 or .243. I definately wouldn't take either of those guns as my choice but I was only wondering WHAT IF.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Matthew, you ask a question like that and this is what
happens!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:34 PM
DM

I worked with a guy that shot a 550 lbs black bear 2 times in the chest with a 30-30, his hunting partner heard the shots and shot the bear with his 06 killing it. They were disputing who actually killed the bear. When they skinned the bear both 30-30 round were found mushroomed against the bears chest but did not penetrate into the vitals.
Now, there a classic case of PI** POOR CHOISE OF BULLET!!! It has nothing to do with the fact that it was a 30-30 that it came out of!!!

Asto the origional question. I don't like either choise, but of the two i'd hands down take the 30-30 with 170 grain NP's!!! It's the load the guy above SHOULD have been useing!!

Drilling Man
Old 09-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

DM you are probably right about the bullet selection but I would mention the bullets stayed intack and retained most if not all weight. The partition would also retain weight, however probably would have not expanded as quickley.

Quick Reply: grizzly backup gun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.