Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 FACTORY   SECONDS ?????? >

FACTORY SECONDS ??????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

FACTORY SECONDS ??????

Old 09-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default FACTORY SECONDS ??????

A few gun dealers state that places like WALMART.and DICKS, sell factory seconds/ reject type guns..Is this true??..what about liability/safety issues. Iv heard of discount clothing ...but guns??You think the dealer just wants my money....by the way.. dealer price is always higher too!!
Old 09-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FACTORY SECONDS ??????

Shortee,

No this is not true. This subject has been beaten like a dead horse.

Here is the best reponse written on this board....
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1013503&mpage=1&key=walmart%2Crif les
Old 09-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

tanks chartboy..i didnt know Ill have to check the archives before I ask a question huh....? I see REBEL HOG IS CONVINCED....THATS ALL I NEED TO KNOW
Old 09-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

Shortee,

No this is not true. This subject has been beaten like a dead horse.

Here is the best reponse written on this board....
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1013503&mpage=1&key=walmart%2Crif les

Old 09-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice... Rebel,

I always knew that had to be out there somewhere...just never saw it before!!
Old 09-18-2005, 08:48 AM

Walmart is the largest gun dealer in the US. If that RUMOR was true, then that does not say alot for the gun companies i.e., they would have more seconds then guns that actually worked
Old 09-18-2005, 03:50 PM

I've talked about this before as well, don't know if it was here or on eders's though.

I had a local gun shop tell me this before. I asked why they wanted considerably more for a gun that walmart had cheaper. They started to tell me that walmart and other chain stores (gander mountain, Dicks, Kmart and the such) got "seconds and the guns were not as good or as accurate". I found that a bit hard to swallow so I checked into it.

I contacted remington, winchester and savage and asked the very same question. Winchester and savage simply and politely said "No, this is not the case at all". Remington actually got upset at the notion and wanted to know what gun shop told me this. They said simply that Walmart and other stores sell guns cheaper because they buy in volume. They are the stores that the keep the plants running since they order in advance. They can coun't on walmart and other stores to order a certain amount of weapons and stock them. Thus they get a break on the price. Where as a small gun store may only order a few guns, or not order it until they actually have a need for one. And a gun store may have to charge more because of increased overhead and the small amount of sales they make. However you normally get better service.

He said they do not sell infieror or "seconds" to anyone. If the product is not up to thier standards it is destroyed, Period! He was very clear about that. He said the reason you see more problems come from these sort of stores is because they simply sell more. So they would have a higher percentage of problems. Plus a small store probably looks the weapon over more closely before selling it. Sort of like arrows or cars. You find a lot of people gripe about Gold Tip arrows, and many love them. It is simply because gold tip sells a TON of arrows every year, so this is most likely where you see the most problems. Same with a Dodge Neon. You will always find someone that hates the car and thinks it is a POS. I had one and it was a great little car. But when every 3rd car on the road is a neon, someone is bound to have a problem with one sooner or later.

I have bought weapons from Walmart, Cabela's, Gander Mountain and a few small shops over the years. The few problems I have ever had with a weapon were actually from the small gun shops where I paid more. The upside was the small store was better to work with in finding a solution. I have bought a few guns from sears as well when the sold them.

I have talked to others that said they still think the guns are not the same, irregardless of what the companies told me. And these were people that either worked there, or were in that field and had nothing to gain from telling me this.

Keep in mind sometimes it may not be the same exact model though, that makes a difference.

Paul
Old 09-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

A few gun dealers state that places like WALMART.and DICKS, sell factory seconds/ reject type guns..Is this true??..what about liability/safety issues. Iv heard of discount clothing ...but guns??You think the dealer just wants my money....by the way.. dealer price is always higher too!!
TOTALLY FALSE, this rumor has been going around for quite some time. To the best of my knowledge, NO MANUFACTURER will allow a rejected firearm to be sold! The liability is just too great.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

TOTALLY FALSE, this rumor has been going around for quite some time. To the best of my knowledge, NO MANUFACTURER will allow a rejected firearm to be sold! The liability is just too great.

Ditto!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:13 AM

Weatherby does sell factory seconds and they are marked as such. I'm sure Wal Mart gets there share of them. Look on Guns America and you'll see several for sale.