Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Would like some input on shotguns >

Would like some input on shotguns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Would like some input on shotguns

Old 09-12-2005, 08:20 PM

Default RE: Would like some input on shotguns

Also something to keep in mind. Many people ask about guns and make a decision based on other peoples suggestions and/or advice w/o even picking up the gun first. BAD IDEA. Everyone is different. Try the gun to make sure it fits your body b/c I assure you that nothing is worse than spending that much money on a gun that isn't comfortable to shoot.
I looked at every one of the ones listed this past weekend, and all fit me well. I looked at some others that didn't feel good to me. The Remington 11-87 and Winchester Super X2 were a couple that didn't feel to good. I will definitely look at the BPS though. Thanks for the possible lead.

Benelli's are notoriossly (sp?) great guns, but comparing their semi's to their Nova is not fair.
I'm not comparing them. I am considering both the pump and semi auto. They both have pros and cons, and I liked everything on my list. That was my reason for this post. I got it narrowed down to the above mentioned, just wanting some feedback on these particular ones. I don't want to drop a grand on a shotgun that has issues. Like, if the Extrema won't function perfectly with light 2 3/4" loads.

Thanks for all the replies. It is greatly appreciated. I'll do some more research before I make my decision. So far the 870/Nova seem to be at the top of my list. But I am definitely going to check out the BPS also. Ill update the list later.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:10 PM

If you compare the BPS to the 870 Express and Nova, I think the BPS is about $200 more, but worth the price to me. The BPS loads and ejects from the bottom. The safety is located on the top. That way it can be shot right or left handed. I've never really seen a BPS that didn't pattern well.

It patterns better than my 11-87. Patterns better than the 835 and 870 that I had. I would suggest that you get the 24'' or 26'' barrel though. I got the 28'' and that gets to be a little too much in the turkey woods. As soon as I can spare the money I am going to buy a 24''.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Typical Buck

I own a Nova and an SBE II with comfortech. Both are very good guns. I used the Nova for waterfowl for 3 years now and it is a very tough water resistant gun and I have not had a single problem with it. This year the week before early goose season I broke down an bought an SBE II with comfortech. This gun is awesome. It kicks about as much as a 20ga. I am going to get a slug barrel for it because it does such a good job at reducing recoil. As for the 3.5" chamber it i the most versital shot gun you can get I would not buy another 3" chamber 12ga. I only use 3.5" for geese anymore and I can still use 2 3/4" for rabit and 3" for diver ducks. Even the SBE II will kick out light 2 3/4" clay pigeon loads just fine. The SBE II has recesed extended choke tubs now. I am very happy with both of my Benelli shotguns. If you get the Nova take an allen wrench and tighten down the screws on the forend and 90% of the rattle will go away.

I also have a Browning BPS 20ga, I like the design with bottom ejection and tang safety but for waterfowl it is hard to beat the Nova for ruggedness and features. I deffinitly like the Benelli's and the BPS better than the 870.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:29 PM

Not putting the NOVA down, but I also duck and goose hunt. I have dropped my BPS on the bottom of a creek, left it there for at least 45mins and it never misfired. Why did I do this? Well it wasn't planned. Two friends and I were walking a creek jump shooting black and wood ducks. After about six hours of walking we were dead tired. We all propped up on the bank. My gun fell over in the creek. I looked down and could see it, I was so tired I just laid back and we all went to sleep for about 45mins.

Me and the same two guys also walked this creek along with the beaver ponds in the ice and snow. Here in SC, its walking in thick swamps, so you fall alot. When you fall, where does your gun go? Most of the time, in the water. Never misfired or jammed.

What I am saying is that the BPS can more than hold up in the duck woods also.

I use mine for ducks, turkey, and deer. I really don't use it much for light game hunting. For some reason I just like my 11-87 for that.

If you get the Nova take an allen wrench and tighten down the screws on the forend and 90% of the rattle will go away.

Good advice. Every NOVA that I seen had a bad rattle. My cousion also fixed this problem on his by doing this.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:36 AM

I am a big fan of the 870. I grew up using my dad's wingmaster. I am thinking about getting my own someday soon....but what makes some people say the quality of 870 has gone down in recent years?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:54 AM

I aprreciate the input. I am going to go check out the BPS sometime this week. But so far, I am leaning towards the Nova. I already have an 870 and was really looking for something a little different. I might use the Nova as a stepping stone. If I like it well, I might get the SBE II later on. I am hoping that in a little time, the SBE II will come down in price a bit. Around here locally, the Comfortech is selling for $1300. It was the most expensive one on my list, but one of the ones that I reallly liked. Just my luck. LOL Thanks again for all the comments.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:57 AM

In my opinion there is no comparison b/t the Wingmaster and today's 870.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:15 PM

StrutnBPS,

Can you expound on that some more? Do you mean that today's 870 are of lower quality? If so, what makes you say that? I'm not challenging you...just wondering why you feel that way, since I am considering an 870 in the near future.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:04 PM

Pig Dog 02,
The finish on the new 870 is subpar. A few drops of rain or a couple of dozen shell and you can see a change in the blueing.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I have an older Benelli SBE and it is awesome for turkey. It kicked hard so I had some custom work done (ported and forcing cone extension). I would like to get one of the new models with the comfortech. Must be a great gun based on the comments..

Quick Reply: Would like some input on shotguns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.