Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope/lense covers?

Old 09-08-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Scope/lense covers?

Irecently purchased a new (used) gun and it came with a Leupole Vari-x 3x9 scope...Ibought both Bushwacker and Blizzard lense covers and the sixe 3 is too small and the 4 too large. DoI need to go directly to Leupold?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope/lense covers?

I use Butler Creek Bikini Covers on all of my scopes,one size fit's all...
Old 09-08-2005, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: PaJack

Thanks, but I'm looking for something that allows me to see through them for quick shots but will also allow me to flip them up if necessary. I currently have aBikini cover for storage.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NJ-Bowhunter

ORIGINAL: PaJack

Thanks, but I'm looking for something that allows me to see through them for quick shots but will also allow me to flip them up if necessary. I currently have aBikini cover for storage.
The standard butler creek covers can be flipped up as you shoulder the gun so they are just as fast as see through covers.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

The standard butler creek covers can be flipped up as you shoulder the gun so they are just as fast as see through covers.
With allot of practice and out of habit because if you’re pressed for time and have to take that quick shot, you will forget to flip up the covers and that big one might get away.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Instructions for ordering Bulter Creek flip up covers.(goes for Objective and eyepiece)Measure the outside diameter of the eyepiece(or objective) of the scope.Fit range is .01 under to .025 overthese measurements.That came right out of a Midsouth catalog.You could go directly through Leupold but you'll be paying more for them.I have BC's on almost all my scopes including the Var X11's.

I never had a problem forgetting to open them. If weather permits once I get my rifle pulled up in the stand I open them up.Rainy weather is a different story of course.
Depending how big the #4 is. You can take some Black Electrical tape . Wrap it around the scope then slide the cover over the tape.I've had to do this with a couple of them.I've heard of some putting Silicone sealant on then sliding the cover on. Once it sets it pretty secure.I've never tried the silicone so it's hearsay.. I have lost a couple covers walking through brush. So far I have found them. That's when the Black tape comes in handy if they fit loosely.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: trailer

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

With allot of practice and out of habit because if you’re pressed for time and have to take that quick shot, you will forget to flip up the covers and that big one might get away.
In over 20 years it hasn't happened yet.You are right about it becoming a habit that when you shoulder the gun you open the covers though.And we all know just how hard it is to break habits.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

You can take some Black Electrical tape . Wrap it around the scope then slide the cover over the tape.I've had to do this with a couple of them.I've heard of some putting Silicone sealant on then sliding the cover on. Once it sets it pretty secure.I've never tried the silicone so it's hearsay.. I have lost a couple covers walking through brush. So far I have found them. That's when the Black tape comes in handy if they fit loosely.

Ruger Redhawk
Using silicone wouldn't be my choice. Once that silicone is set it’s nearly permanent. You would probably have to cut off the covers and then use silicone remover to remove any residue. All depending on how much would be applied of course.
Also, instead of using black electrical tape I would much prefer using the white teflon tape that plumbers use for sealing threads. It would hold on pretty good and wouldn’t leave any mess when removed. Just a thought.
By the way, I did forget to lift my flip up covers last year and had a good size doe get away. This was the first year I had used these covers and it had snowed so the covers were doing there job until it came time to pull the trigger.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silicone wouldn't be my choice either.I heard of some using it.. I like your teflon tape idea.Not sure if it would stay in place though.. There is no glue to hold it.. I've used Lighter Fluid to remove the glue residue left from electrical tape. I've gotten good results from the electrical tape and will stick with it.This was also recommened by Uncle Mike's (Butler Creek).Sometime back I contacted them seeing if they has a special glue or adhesive to keep the covers on. That's when the electrical tape came into play.

Works for me.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Host of Hosts

If you have to shoot that quickly it probably is going to be a miss anyway.

Quick Reply: Scope/lense covers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.