Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Cleaning Question???

Old 09-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun Cleaning Question???

Hey guys i was wondering whats a good cleaning procedure to go through for cleaning my .270 remington adl. I know first i wanna use the brush then run the cleaning pad down it a few times. Then my uncle used some type of paste that he put on a swab and ran it through once after that he used hoppes semi auto solvent and ran about 10 or 15 patches through the gun is this what i should do also what was that paste that he used??
Old 09-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gun Cleaning Question???

This is what I do when cleaning my rifles:

1) Bore brush, pass through 2-3 times. (Maybe more if really dirty)
2) Pass through a couple dry patchs
3) Attach the bore brush and place a patch with Bore Solvent (Copper remover, etc...I use Shooter Choice Copper Remover) Pass it through several times. If coated I will replace and pass a clean patch with another application of solvent. I would say after a number of firings I will run it through 10 times.
4) Run dry patchs through with bore brush to remove solvent, until clean
5) Pass a patch with remoil through once
6) Pass Dry patches through until clean
7) Thin coat of Remoil on stock, barrel, etc
8) Lubricant (Anybody try the drilube by Rem?)

Make sure to place scope cover on lens, use a soft cloth to remove excess Oil on the barrel, stock, etc.

Old 09-29-2002, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

skeeter does the bore like me...except i dont use solvent remoil on the brush going through about 12 times then letting it sit a min or 2 then i dry patch it until the patch comes out clean then i lightly oil a patch and send it in once if it will be sitting for a while or if im going to use it hunting sometime soon or shooting i dont oil it again because it affects the impact point....also dont forget about scrubbing the action everything down....and if you can like if you have mag with a floor plate that opens clean the mag box and spring...and make sure the actions oiled after its clean...i duno what the paste is? maybe some kind of solvent....unless you shoot alot oil seems to work for me...22s and shotguns i clean the actions with powder solvent because the powder burs dirty, i shoot alot at once, and their is always excess powder in the action that didnt burn...i clean my guns excessivly well ive been told...but a gun that wont function or hit what you aim at in my view is usless....good luck...you will learn a way that work for you...there is no right way to clean a gun...just as long as it cleans everything and you like the method....

Old 09-29-2002, 09:31 PM

I do everything about the same. I only clean my rifle every other time I shoot it. Because I shoot it so offen.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:20 PM

I learned this new procedure from a Tetra Gun representative at our local Bi Mart one day as he was demonstrating Tetra gun products. This is by far the best product I have used.
Action types very, so if you use a bolt gun then remove the bolt. Semi auto’s levers should be from the muzzle (Except Marlin Lever guns)

Step 1. Spray Tetra Action Blaster down the barrel and let it run onto paper towel.
You have just cleaned out 99.9 percent of all powder fouling without even running a Rod down the barrel. This degreaser evaporates fast so no residue to contend with.

Step 2. Now run your cleaning rod down the barrel ten times with a Phosphor Bronze brush or a Nylon brush coated with Tetra copper solvent remover on the brush. Tetra makes the bottle so that you must squeeze out the product onto the brush. This way, a person won’t dip a dirty brush into a large mouth bottle and contaminate the product. Note: Use a muzzle guard if you are cleaning from the muzzle.

Step 3. Next you spray Tetra Action blaster down the barrel to clean out the copper fouling you just brushed.

Step 4. Run your rod down the barrel with a push type tip and a lightly oiled patch.

Step 5. Clean the bolt and action with Action Blaster then lube with a light coat of Tetra Gun Grease. You can use your finger or a Q-tip for this.

Done.
Note: Lever actions and semi auto firearms can use the action blaster from the breach end as the can comes with a long straw that fits into the spray nozzle. Tilt the tip of the barrel down and let it drip out the muzzle end onto a paper towel. No mess dripping into the action! You can check out Teyra products at:
http://www.tetraproducts.com

PS.
I am not a salesman for Tetra. I just think that this is the best product I have ever used. A lot of my friends have switched over to this product also.

Hornet Man

Hornet Man
Old 09-30-2002, 09:43 PM

You say "Semi auto’s levers should be from the muzzle (Except Marlin Lever guns)" How am I supposed to clean my marlin then? Take the whole thing apart?

Old 09-30-2002, 10:27 PM

Hey 3030win
How old is your rifle? The newer Marlins can be cleaned from the breach. I,m not sure about the older Marlins, but my new Marlin,s can be cleaned by taking out the lever screw and pulling out the lever and then pulling out the bolt. Bingo. That is what I love about my Marlin.s

Hornet Man

Hornet Man
Old 09-30-2002, 10:55 PM

It's about 3 months old. Will tinker around with it tomorrow, see if I can get the bolt and lever out like you say. Thanks.