Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Mounts for the Ruger Redhawk >

New Mounts for the Ruger Redhawk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Mounts for the Ruger Redhawk

Old 09-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default New Mounts for the Ruger Redhawk

I just got this back from the gunsmith. I have been wanting a good short range weapon for stalking in the woods. So I had a RED DOT mounted on my .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk. It should make for an interesting season...
Old 09-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Mounts for the Ruger Redhawk

The Ruger is a great gun, and your setup should be an excellent "woods" gun! I have a Super Redhawk with a 2X scope, I haven't taken a deer with it yet, maybe this year!
Old 09-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I took a deer a few years back at about 30 yards shooting Winchester 240 grain JHP over the iron sights. She was one of them that suddenly appeared out of no where. I took here behind the front shoulder and the hole that bullet made coming out the other side, I am still surprised she made 30 yards running off. Of course in the 30 yards she ran, she had to jump the creek and go into the cedar marsh... Which meant I had to cross the creek and bring her back over it.

Still the revolver did a great job. As you say, this will make an excellent short range talking weapon...
Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Cayugad, that's the base I posted for you. Hey man, you're ready, real nice!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Rebel Hog I showed that base to some gun smiths and they agreed with you that although it was the more expensive of the mounts out there, because of the recoil this was the mount to get. I agreed and we made it happen.

I can not wait to shoot this thing. I think it will be just fine. I have a friend that had a stroke and he was kind of bummed that he could not deer hunt. Well I have a blind where the shots would be 35 yards or less and I see no reason why, with his good arm, he could not fire this thing and put a 240 grain JHP Winchester in the right spot. It will work. Also it will make a great gun for moving on trails this winter. I just ordered a shoulder holster for it...
Old 09-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I sighted in the RED DOT today on the Redhawk. I never knew how much I moved a revolver, until you put a sighting device on a revolver. That little RED DOT floated all over that target. I did get a good group and think that at the distances I expect in the hunting situation, the accuracy is more then acceptable. I did learn the best for me is to lay the revolver with the handle resting on the bench and then just concentrate on the dot to the bull relationship while you apply pressure to the trigger.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Cayugad, good show Partner! Are you going to keep it at 25yds?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Dominant Buck

The shots we will face in the blinds I am considering will be at most 35 yards and the amount of drop difference at those ranges would not effect the over all accuracy of the revolver. So I think the 25 yard distance will be fine. Tomorrow I am going over to my friends house and see how he likes the revolver and what he thinks of the idea. He is a pretty gutsy old fellow who even though is handicapped will try about anything. I think he will be pleased and go for the idea. I will pitch this as his last possible try at deer hunting.