Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Be Sensible! >

Be Sensible!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Be Sensible!

Old 09-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Be Sensible!

ORIGINAL: Virginia7

Agreed! IMO, there's really not much need for any magnum cartridge to hunt anything in the lower 48. I've used 'em years ago, and enjoyed shooting 'em. Still do, especially like the 375H&H. But, to start off with folks should get well acquainted with a good 22LR. Then, for a first centerfire deer cartridge try out a few at the local ranges. Most, I think, would do well to go with the likes of the 6.5x55, 270Win., 7x57, 280Rem., etc., or evena 30/30. Heck, for deer you really don't need anymore than these provide.
7mm-08 or 308Win. if you want a short action.

No Virginia, not in your IMO, you're Right! I second that!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

**Small/weak kids would do well to start with a varmit rifle on varmits (not deer) before moving up to the 30-06.
I have to laugh at this because I was always the small one of the family and my cousins all played football lineman at a very competitive high school. Yeah they were alot stronger, and the biggest of them couldn't make it through a round of trap with a 20 gauge and I'd do just fine with that or my dads 12 gauge at the time.

I do agree all those years behind a single shot .22 rifle and 20 guage allowed me to be a much better shooter today. I can gladly pull the trigger on my 870 super mag and not have anysecond thoughts about it, and smile when launching something out of the 300 WM. Sensiablity is such a huge thing. I'll probably buy some more and varied barrels for my encore so if my future children decide to give shooting a whirl I won't be buying a new gun everytime then need a new caliber.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:34 AM

Reb,
You "....especially like the 375 H&H...."? [per your applauded quote]

Really?
I didn'tknow you'd been down that path so as to be familiar....
Well alright, good for you.
=================================

Ferris,
The term "weak" applies not just to strength but also the absence or presence of both durability and tenacity, both of which were reflected in my post as different individuals having different "salt."
Old 09-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

22LR at 5
410 at 8
30-30 Win at 9 [:'(]
12 gauge at 10
270 at 14 (10 years older brother had a 243 &I consistantly out shot him on prairie dogs)
338WinMag at 23
Whoa,whoa, whoa, friend.... Why the " [:'(]" ??? I love my 30-30 and it is still my favorite rifle. Quick,lightweight, easy to carry, drop it in the dirt - pick it up and keep on going, etc... Then again, it's good to maybe 150 yards. But still, it's my best choice for thehills and ridges with heavy timberand also in the deep briars/thickets.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Reb,
You "....especially like the 375 H&H...."? [per your applauded quote]

Really?
I didn'tknow you'd been down that path so as to be familiar....
Well alright, good for you.

Ferris,
The term "weak" applies not just to strength but also the absence or presence of both durability and tenacity, both of which were reflected in my post as different individuals having different "salt."
Elk, among all the one's I own are a .338 BRN A-Bolt and a BLR .358. Never had
use for a .375H&H in this country!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 AM

Butch,
Seems we may be products of different environments.
I grew up in the open plains of Nebraska (and now Colorado)with long horizons and 60 to 80 mile visibility, what you might call a long shot, we would call ordinary.

It wasn't legal for me to hunt deer until I was 14 so I was stuck with that W-9430-30 for 5 years....
Short little steel butted stock, short little barrel, short little cartridge with flat nosed bullets that dropped like a rock, top ejection thatmade a scope impractical --- that combined with wide open spaces just didn't make for a very satisfactory package, as for coyotes and prairie dogs (typical "young kid" fare growing up) it was a POS. I resolved that by the time I was old enough to hunt deer I would get myself afully capableweapon for my environment, and I did.

If I was going to be involved in some "briar-patch" brush busting hunting, then I'd probably gravitate to a Marlin in 45-70 or a double rifle of some sort, both are pretty quick handling and don't fall short on "punch." Now some folks like 30-30'sI guess and that is fine; they just came across as anemic in my life experience.

I've still got that little popper as it was my dad's gun and so I can't sell it.The kidsdon't like it or want it and neither does the wife. It sits in the far back left corner of the gun safe and seldom sees the light of day.

Reb,
338 & 358, that's kinda what Iremembered --- just temporarily puzzled byyour much applauded all encompassing quotewith the endorsement of the 375 H&H which you included as though it were your own.

I supposeif one is stay on track to do 10,000 posts ina singleyear, thenone probably can't dwellexcessively on accurate detail/editing or too much original thought.

Dang, that's 27 posts each and every day --- no days off, no vacation....
Old 09-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Butch,
I grew up in the open plains of Nebraska (and now Colorado)with long horizons and 60 to 80 mile visibility, what you might call a long shot, we would call ordinary.
Oh.... {duh!} [:-]

Yeah, open plains is not the best area for a 30-30. I have seen shows on TV in Nebraska, South Dakota, Colorado, etc... and these guys shoot antelope from like 1/2 mile away! Now that is marksmanship!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Butch,

It wasn't legal for me to hunt deer until I was 14 so I was stuck with that W-9430-30 for 5 years....
Short little steel butted stock, short little barrel, short little cartridge with flat nosed bullets that dropped like a rock, top ejection thatmade a scope impractical --- that combined with wide open spaces just didn't make for a very satisfactory package, as for coyotes and prairie dogs (typical "young kid" fare growing up) it was a POS. I resolved that by the time I was old enough to hunt deer I would get myself afully capableweapon for my environment, and I did.

If I was going to be involved in some "briar-patch" brush busting hunting, then I'd probably gravitate to a Marlin in 45-70 or a double rifle of some sort, both are pretty quick handling and don't fall short on "punch." Now some folks like 30-30'sI guess and that is fine; they just came across as anemic in my life experience.

I've still got that little popper as it was my dad's gun and so I can't sell it.The kidsdon't like it or want it and neither does the wife. It sits in the far back left corner of the gun safe and seldom sees the light of day.

Reb,
338 & 358, that's kinda what Iremembered --- just temporarily puzzled byyour much applauded all encompassing quotewith the endorsement of the 375 H&H which you included as though it were your own.

I supposeif one is stay on track to do 10,000 posts ina singleyear, thenone probably can't dwellexcessively on accurate detail/editing or too much original thought.

Dang, that's 27 posts each and every day --- no days off, no vacation....
No Elk, I'm a retired machine. I payed my dues, now it's your turn!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

im going to admit it i got the shooters flinch i think im not sure ive been working my way out of it but i dont no i sometimes i still flinch lol im 16 shooting a 30-06 ive almost out grown the flinch but somtimes i still might not thinking but my soht is still good
Old 09-08-2005, 01:14 AM

ORIGINAL: ButchA
Yeah, open plains is not the best area for a 30-30. I have seen shows on TV in Nebraska, South Dakota, Colorado, etc... and these guys shoot antelope from like 1/2 mile away! Now that is marksmanship!
What? Hunted pronghorn in Wyoming for several years. I thought the same way when I moved out there, and foolishly traded off a really good/accurate Marlin 30/30.
Most of my antelope hunting was done with a 243Win. (Rem.788 & then a Ruger77). BUT, the most fun was sneaking up on 'em, and getting within about 50-75yds. before taking the shot. No, it didn't always work, but enough that stalking 'em was a lot more fun than shooting 'em at long range. Longest shot I ever had on a big buck was approx. 225yds.- getting out there, but still within the range of an accurate/scoped Marlin. Sure wish I had kept that rifle. Plastic milk jugs & coffee cans were a 99% sure thing at 200yds. with it. Darn nice wood on that one, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.