Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Kel-Tec, are they any good? >

Kel-Tec, are they any good?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kel-Tec, are they any good?

Old 09-01-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Kel-Tec, are they any good?

I was searching around for a varmint gun and i came upon a kel-tec .223. Is this a good, sturdy, accurate gun?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kel-Tec, are they any good?

I have heard good and bad about Kel-Tek. Try to look it up on the web site www.gun-tests.com. They may have an article on it.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kel-Tec, are they any good?

There is a lot on the web on the SU 16. Search for "SU 16 & Mini 14". There are a lot of discussions comparing the two rifles. Avid varmit hunters might say that it doesn't have the accuracy. Most discussions say that it is more accurate than the mini-14 and a bit less expensive. It is very light and mostly plastic. It is build on an M16/AR15 action and has some pluses. Essentially it is a rifle built for decent accuracy and to be folded and thrown in the back of a truck or behind a seat. It is multi purpose, meaning decent at most but not specialized. It is not a battle rifle and it is not a tack driving varmit gun, but does a little of both. I've heard good and bad quality stories on these. There are vastly differing opinions. However, Kel-tec has a life time guarantee.

Personally, both the SU 16 and the Sub 2000 are on my shortlist. I'm looking for a rifle that will be for mostly plinking, occasional coyote/varmit hunting and would make due for protection should everything go to h--- in a hand basket. The SU 16 or the mini 14 both seem to fill the bill, but the SU16 is lighter and requires less modifications out of the box.

Spud