Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly >

Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Old 09-02-2005, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

My personal choice would be a Rem 870 12 gauge loaded up with fat slugs and/or big buckshot.
By definition:.....self defence don't happen at 100 yards. It happens at ten yards and a shotgun slug with a bunch of it's buddies in the tube of a reliable pump gun is as good as it gets.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Typical Buck

I would also agree, the Winchester Model 1300.
I like my odds when I have about 5 (8 with the Camp Defender Model) ounces of lead that I can throw at that bear. And you can empty the 1300 pretty quickly, especially if your fixin to dribble down your leg watching a griz come at ya!!
The 1895G or "Guide Gun" as it's called is an incredible rifle. And the good ole 45-70 is plenty of medicine for a griz, and you can fire a good lever gun as fast as most people can fire a pump. But if cuchullainn is really concerned about price I think he's be hard pressed to find a Guide Gun for less that $400-$425.
And you can buy a 1300 every day for $300, and sometimes less.

Also I have to agree with Bigbulls, NO semi-auto's!! And even though the NEF is a great little rifle,I want more that one shot. Some people argue that they can be loaded pretty fast, but ya gotta figure nerves into it, you'll probably drop the shell trying to get it out of your pocket and into your rifle!!

Good Luck!!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

How about you buy your .22 or any other gun you want,be careful on your camping ventures and carry a can of pepper spray bear repellant!Good luck great white camper!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:43 AM

I was wondering how long it would take to realize that a .22 centerfire is not enough to take into the canadian countryside, alone.

Don't waste time looking for that oh-so-special bolt action, and get a shotgun, period. If you've never seen the damage a slug will do, you will be greatly impressed. Plus they are simple to operate.

You could, of course, just get the optional grenade launcher for the AR15
Old 09-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

JMHO: If I am talking grizzlies, cheap would be the last word to enter my mind. I would buy quality so I would have all of the confidence in the world in it.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:23 AM
DM

I sold a Valmet copy of an AK47 to a customer (friend) that lived in the bush in Alaska with his wife and 2 girls. They were picking berriesfor canning when a fairly big brown bear charged him from about 25 yards. This guy wasn't all that much of a hunter and really didn't even know all that much about balistics. But, he said, when it got about 15 yards away he cut loose with the .223 and on the 10th shot the bearslid into him knocking him off his feet, scattering everyone. After calming everyone down, they walked back to the cabin, got his camera and tooks lots of pictures....

A month or so later when they flew back to town for supplies, they came over, and him and hiswife couldn't stop thanking me for selling him that rifle!!! There was NO telling him tocarry a bigger rifle after that...

Does this mean the .223 is a brown bear rifle???? NO, but it did work "that" time.....

I prefera decent cal rifle for bear, buta shotgun with slugs would be much better than any small cal. rifle!!

Drilling Man
Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some game croppers in some African countries use the AK-47 as a cape buffalo gun. On fully auto it is a devastating thing to do to an animal. Yes, it kills cape buffalo deader than hell. We're not permitted the use of fully auto weapons here and you did say cheap.....the license alone is a very spendy thing here.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

If $300 Canadian is what you have I would pick up a used Remington 870, Winchester 1300, or Mossberg pump shotgun. Load it with either standard Foster slugs of 00 Buck shot. You're looking for a defensive weapon for a close range encounter with a bear. The 12 gauge loaded properly will handle the job.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just hold both of your hands high in the air, and look big. Then walk up to the griz and box him on both ears.

Just kidding.

I would not only go with the 12 guage pump, but I would also practice with it enough to get used to the recoil, especially if you are only accustomed to a .22 cal.

C. Davis
Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 870 super express. Slug barrel with rifle sights.8 round swat magazine adapter.3 1/2" slugs.good hearing and eyes.Also great home defense with # 4 buck.

Quick Reply: Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.