Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope mounting issues... >

Scope mounting issues...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope mounting issues...

Old 08-31-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Scope mounting issues...

So a gun smith i am not!!! apparently not very bright either. I put an old Simmons scope on my New Savage 114. Its a 30-06. I mounted it myself and didn't have it bore sighted.

I went to the range and tried to "just get it close" at 50 yards and what a mistake. The issue is... i lowered the scope all the way with the knobs, but it was still shooting 13 inches low. Is the best thing to do since I am novice at this... is bring it in to have it mounted and bore sighted at my gunshop, or is there anything i need to look for like reversing my rings or something... any help is appreciated!

Thanks

I may not get a shot... but at least i'm out here!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:03 PM

Default RE: Scope mounting issues...

Take it down and have the mounts checked, and have it bore sighted. With a new scope I like to sight it at 25 yards, than move out to 100 yards. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

The issue is... i lowered the scope all the way with the knobs, but it was still shooting 13 inches low.
This may sound silly,but did you try adusting the knob up?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:08 PM

yeah, I tried both ways just in case i was reading the knobs wrong

i guess i'll just take it in and get it checked out. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something... other than the target that is!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you were sold the wrong set of scope mounts for your particular rifle. Double check the recommended mount and see if that is what you purchased.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:08 AM

You will most likely need to shim one of the mounts. I would take it to a shop and let them do it for you if you don't want to mess with it. My shop charges 30 bucks to put a scope on and bore sight it.

Keep in mind bore sighting does not mean it will always be on, it might not even put it on the paper. It depends on the ammo you use. I have switched ammo before and had a pretty decent shift in impact point. That is not the norm, but it can happen. It should put you on paper at 25 yards though.

I normally bore sight a scope when mounting it, then shoot a few rounds at 25 yards or so to see what is happening and progressively move back farther. And I like to do as much adjustment to the mounts as I can before messing with the scope. I like mounts with windage adjustments and try to get the scope as close to on at 50 yards before I actually use the scope adjustments. Then I fine tune it at 100 yards with the scope turrets.

If you take it somewhere make sure they know you ran out of adjustment and that the scope needs to be re-zeroed. Also keep in mind taking a scope to it's limit on adjustment may not be good for it.

Your rings might need lapped as well.

Paul
Old 09-01-2005, 10:42 PM

Sniper was right... wrong brackets. Bought some Leopold brackets and rings! Testing it out this weekend! thanks guys!