Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA and scope issues >

CVA and scope issues

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA and scope issues

Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default CVA and scope issues

Last year I purchased a CVA optima and this year bought a scope for it. I have always shot the powerbelt 295 grainsabots and was very pleased. I had my scope dialed in at 100 yrds and could hit 2" groups at 100 yrds. This year I changed to the Hornaday 300 grain, the kind without the plastic, and has a concaved bottom for the gas expansion.

The problem I am having is that I cant seem to get any consistancy over 50 yrds with the hornaday and the scope. Would you think that its the sabot or the scope losing its hold on farther shots. Its not a top of the line scope, but its camoed and the price was right. I didnt realize that the sabot would have that much of an impact on accuracy.

I bought the Hornady's because the powerbelts were all sold out, but would this be such a cause for such a miserable consistancy?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: CVA and scope issues

Are you referrring to the new Hornady FPB's....they are 350gr.?
If so, I and many others have been getting good accuracy with them. My experience with them has been limited to my Omega using 100-110gr. charges of Blackhorn 209 powder.
Is your powder old....from last year? Did you try to work up your most accurate load at 50yds. before going to 100? Make sure your scope base and rings are tight. If you have access to a good bore sighter, you could check the zero of your scope and see if it changes. Then you know it's either you scope or mounts.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Unless for some reason you suspect the scope, mounts or rings might have went bad or came loose, I doubt it is a scope issue.

I would suspect old powder, or the wrong powder charge, or the rifle just does not like the Hornady FPB's. So all you need to do IMO is start changing out the different aspects of the load. Try some new powder. Also I have no idea what charge you are trying but perhaps a different charge might be in order. If all else fails, try a different bullet. Some rifles just do not like certain bullets.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM

IF EVERYTHING WAS WORKING FINE,WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT BULLET?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm glad that I was never asked that... tbighunter. Half the fun of these rifles is shooting all kinds of projectiles. I think that is what makes a muzzleloader versatile and fun. He always has a load to fall back on. Which makes experimentation all the more fun.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Im using the Triple 7 with 150 grains and 209 primer. I like the powerbelt HP's (348 grains) but was shopping around tosee if I can get a similar shot with the polymer tip that Hornady has. Its also concaved at the bottom for gas expansion without the plastic.

I am convinced the bullet is the culprit. I went and purchased a laser boresighter and made sure I was dead on center, but the Hornadys were so erratic I had some with up to a foot of difference in shots.

I went to my favorite pro shop, bought a box of powerbelt HP's and shot 2 inch groups at 100 yrds today. I called Hornady and they offered to take them back, perhaps a defect with that much of erratic shooting.

For the guy shouting why fix something that isnt broke...I am always looking to bettermy shot. Not saying it was bad to start with, but with a different style sabot I was looking for a more aggressive entrance hole.

Thanks for the input
Old 12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
FG

Lower your charge down to 80 and work up to 100gr. Magnum loads are something to sell newbe's so they can sell more powder *pellets*
Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: FG

Lower your charge down to 80 and work up to 100gr. Magnum loads are something to sell newbe's so they can sell more powder *pellets*
Isnt the 348 grain sabot pretty heavy for only 100? My pellets are 50/50 so I can only use increments of 50. I figured I would need the magnum load for a 100 yrd kill shot.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a 500 grain conical with 80 grains of 2f powder. I would never even blink at a 100 yard shot and I don't care what it is. The weight of the bullet does a lot of the damage you will find. So 100 grains would be a good place to start if all you have is pellets.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

Last year I purchased a CVA optima and this year bought a scope for it. I have always shot the powerbelt 295 grainsabots and was very pleased. I had my scope dialed in at 100 yrds and could hit 2" groups at 100 yrds. This year I changed to the Hornaday 300 grain, the kind without the plastic, and has a concaved bottom for the gas expansion.

The problem I am having is that I cant seem to get any consistancy over 50 yrds with the hornaday and the scope. Would you think that its the sabot or the scope losing its hold on farther shots. Its not a top of the line scope, but its camoed and the price was right. I didnt realize that the sabot would have that much of an impact on accuracy.

I bought the Hornady's because the powerbelts were all sold out, but would this be such a cause for such a miserable consistancy?
I have a CVA Optima and the 295 powerbelt vs 300g hornady xtp groups are almost identical. I use 90g of 777 2F loose, black crushed rib sabot and 777 primers. I wouldn't touch the scope.

Quick Reply: CVA and scope issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.