Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Barrel Selection for Wingmaster, pls help >

Barrel Selection for Wingmaster, pls help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel Selection for Wingmaster, pls help

Old 08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Barrel Selection for Wingmaster, pls help

I have a Rem Wingmaster 12 ga, improved cylinder that is appx 22 years old, gloss finish with 2 3/4 inch shells only. It does not have a vented rib so i don't like the looks of it so much, but more importantly, it does not have variable choke, so other than dove/quail, it has limited use. I dont' really find the improved cyl as suitable for duck or turkey. I was about to purchase a new mossberg or remington express that would be more versatile with interchangeable chokes when it occured to me that I could buy a new barrel for this gun. I looked around ebay and there are a few, but i realzied i don't really know what to look for. The barrels aren't cheap, but it looks like they are cheaper than a rem express for $250, plus, i like the action and quality of the wingmaster better than the express.

My question is, I would like to buy a new or used barrel in 26 inch (28 is ok), gloss, vent rib and preferably with interchangeable chokes. Some of the barrels say they are 2 3/4 and 3inch. Will the 3 inch work with my gun if get the 3 inch barrel or is the receiver a problem?

It seems like most of the std 2 3/4 inch barrels do not have interchangeable chokes, so if that's the case, I will need to buy a modified cylinder as a middle of the road cyl to go w/ my improved, though a full choke might make sense too.

Any buying advice is appreciated. Also, if you can rec a place to purchase such an item at a fair price (besides ebay), pls advise.

thx
Old 09-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Barrel Selection for Wingmaster, pls help

someone must have suggestions
Old 09-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/m870parts.pdf

Part number 26219 is a 26" vent rib, wingmaster barrel, light contour, blue, with remchokes. $252.00
Part # 26217 is a 28" bbl of the same configuration and price.

Part number 24582 is a 26" vent rib, wingmaster barrel, standard contour, blue, with remchokes. $219.00
Part # 24580 is a 28" bbl of the same configuration and price.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:27 PM

Any 870 barrels will fit on it. However, if you put on a barrel rated for up to 3" shells, you won't be able to shoot the 3" shells out of yours because your receiver is only rated for the 2 3/4" shells and you need a magnum receiver to shoot the 3" shells. But other than that, you will be able to shoot any 2 3/4" shells with the remchoke without any problem.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SuperMagnum

Any 870 barrels will fit on it. However, if you put on a barrel rated for up to 3" shells, you won't be able to shoot the 3" shells out of yours because your receiver is only rated for the 2 3/4" shells and you need a magnum receiver to shoot the 3" shells. But other than that, you will be able to shoot any 2 3/4" shells with the remchoke without any problem.
well said
Old 09-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

One other option to save money is to have a Gunsmith modify your existing barrel to accept remington chokes. This can be done for around $35-40 in my area. You still won't have a vent rib but it will cost less than a new barrel. Otherwise in my area you can find Remington 870 Express' used all day long for under $200. This is also less than a new barrel will cost. The third option is to go with a Hastings economy barrel that will accept chokes. These are usually under $135. I have never used a Hastings econo barrel so I don't know what kind of quality you would get. Just some extra things to think over.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Then Hastings barrels are pretty danged good plus you can get them just about any way you like them.Check out cabelas or bass pro.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Swampdog

Then Hastings barrels are pretty danged good plus you can get them just about any way you like them.Check out cabelas or bass pro.
Swamp, I shoot a Hastings Paradox Barrel on a BRN A-5 12ga.Hastings
has posted a Warning on Remington Solid Sabots.

WARNING! KNOW THE AMMUNITION YOU ARE USING
Pre-1999 Remington Copper Solid Ammunition is not recommended for use in Hastings Barrels.
We at Hastings are concerned about customer safety. Our barrels are manufactured using the highest quality steel and modern production methods. Each barrel is independently proof tested, and we have a consistant history of safety and superior performance.
We have observed that some of Hastings' replacement barrels have been damaged when customers used pre-1999 Remington Copper Soilid Sabot Ammunition with the specifications below:

[align=left]Index/EDI No.[/align]
[align=left]Gauge[/align]
[align=left]Shell Length[/align]
[align=left]Slug Weight[/align]

[align=left]PR 12 MAG RS[/align]
[align=left]12 ga.[/align]
[align=left]3"[/align]
[align=left]1 3/16 oz.[/align]

[align=left]PR 12 RS[/align]
[align=left]12 ga.[/align]
[align=left]2 3/4"[/align]
[align=left]1 oz.[/align]

[align=left][/align]
Damage has occured after varying numbers of rounds were fired, causing some barrels to bend. Damage has been seen among the following Hastings Products:
Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks REB .I got an old hastings for one of my 1100 magnums .I don't know if they still make them or not .But it is a 32" with the choke tubes .( Put the super extra full in and it is rough at the turkey shoots)
Old 09-02-2005, 11:09 AM

hey, i've got an extra barrel like you want I'll make you a good deal on it. Full choke for a 2 3/4 wingmaster vent rib. Pete