Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Out of state=no gun? >

Out of state=no gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Out of state=no gun?

Old 08-27-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Out of state=no gun?

I went to a shop today to buy a .17HMR savage with stainless heavy barrel, and they wouldn't sell it to me! they said because i have a california license that i can't buy here (utah). i have to switch my license over to utah but i'm just a student and will be going back to cali. has anyone ever had this problem before?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Out of state=no gun?

You can buy a long gun in a state you don't reside in. Handguns would have to go through a FFL holder in your state of residence. maybe try finding a dealer that knows this or tell this one, what's actually legal.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:29 AM
bigcountry

Its not that you are out of state but out of state CA resident. Here in MD, they will sell to PA and Va residences for longguns but not to NJ or NY.

There are a few states that are no no's to sell to. As mentioned, CA, NJ, NY, MA, CN, maybe Illinois. Other than that, the rest are big happy families. When I go back to Ky, they won't sell me a pistol with MD licence cause MD requires guns to have a built in trigger lock and fired case.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to clarify, I live in NJ and regularly purchase guns in NY. Either I am misunderstanding Bigcountrys statement, orhe is not correct.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

This is from Cabelas:

ATTENTION: Residents of IL, MA, MI, NJ, and NY please check your local laws for restrictions before ordering any black-powder firearm.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

To further clarify, after just reading the updated,(October2004), state specific regulations for both NY and NJ as posted on the National Rifle Associations web site....

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NJ

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=Ny

I do not believe EITHER STATE,(NYor NJ),HAS ANY LAWS PROHIBITING RESIDENTS FROM PURCHASING FIREARMS IN OTHER STATESso long as those purchases would be legal in the residents home state.

As I understand it, some other states that are part of the "big happy family" discriminate against NY and NJ residents because they are unwilling to fulfill their legal obligation to asssertain that the individual they are selling the gun to is in fact legally allowed to own that gun in that residents home state of NY or NJ.

The point being is NY AND NJ are doing nothing to compromise the freedoms of their residents who are legally allowed to own firearms. It is the other states that are unwilling to sell to NYand NJ residents that are violating their freedoms.

As always, I want to make it clear....I am not a lawyer, this is simply my understanding. If I am incorrect please correct me and provide the regulations I am not aware of....JC
Old 08-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

This is from Cabelas:

ATTENTION: Residents of IL, MA, MI, NJ, and NY please check your local laws for restrictions before ordering any black-powder firearm.
Yes, that is from Cabelas.....It in no way statesthat theydo not sell to those states.

The laws for legal ownership of specific guns in these states vary widely. This disclaimer simply points that fact out.

For example....a muzzleloader is regulated as a firearm in NJ and therefore needs to be transfered through a dealer. Cabellas simply asks their customers to be aware of such laws before ordering. But in no way do they discriminate against NY or NJ residents who are legally allowed to own said guns under their own state laws.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

As another point in fact I have purchased a gun in MARYLAND had it shipped to NEW YORK and I am NEW JERSEY resident.
This transfered was reveiwed by the ATF as a part of their regular FFL auditing procedures and found to be in compliance.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Jcc, could not find anything on Muzzle Loading.

NEW JERSEY STATE LAWS - Click On Law Below For Details

Anti-Trafficking
Is there a one-handgun-per-month limit on gun sales?

No

Assault Weapons
Are there limitations on assault weapons and magazines?

Yes

Attorney General Regulations
May Attorney General regulate guns?

Yes

Background Check At State Level
Do state police perform a background check in addition to federal NICS check?

Yes

Ballistic Fingerprinting
Must handguns be ballistic fingerprinted prior to sale?

No

CCW Limits
May police limit carrying concealed handguns?

Yes

Child Access Prevention - CAP
Are gun owners held accountable for leaving guns accessible to kids?

Yes

Child-Safety Locks
Must locking devices be sold with guns?

Partial

Gun Manufacturer Accountability
Do cities have authority to hold gun makers legally liable?

Yes

Gun Show Checks
Are background checks required at gun shows?

Yes

Juvenile Possession
Are minors restricted from possessing guns?

Yes

Juvenile Sale
Is it illegal to sell guns to kids?

Yes

License or Permit to Purchase
Is a license/permit required to buy handguns?

Yes

Local Gun Laws - Preemption
May cities enact laws stronger than the state's?

Partial

Record Keeping
May police maintain gun sale records?

Partial

Registration
Are all guns registered with law enforcement?

Partial

Safety Standards
Are there consumer safety standards on guns?

Partial

Safety Training
Is safety training required for handgun buyers?

No

Saturday Night Specials
Are there limitations on 'junk' handguns?

No

School Zones
Is it illegal for CCW permit holders to carry guns into schools?

Yes

Secondary Sales
Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales?

Yes

Waiting Period
Is there a waiting period on gun sales?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:30 AM

I'd try another shop and see what happens if you can. I would also suggest checking both states gun laws. Some shops or stores might just make out of state gun sales against thier policy, whether it is legal. As far as I know that is thier right. I know I live in MI and can buy anything but a handgun in ohio. I don't know if that applies to all states.

I purchused quite a few weapons years ago when I lived in CA but had an Ohio residence. However I had a military ID and the laws may have been different back then. You might be able to check with the local state police as well.

Paul

Quick Reply: Out of state=no gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.