Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now >

accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now

Old 08-29-2005, 08:29 PM

Default RE: accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now

I won't question Craig Boddington about his style of hunting but let's be honest. For big game hunting a 1 MOA gun really isn't nessasary. Take a piece of trash gun that only shoots a 2 MOA group and push it out to 200 yards. Is it useless at that range when hunting deer? Of course not, it's still putting a bullet within 2 inches of your point of aim. The last time I checked a deer's heart was a lot bigger than 2 inches.
I've posted before where I used a 30-30 lever with a 4x scope on a 225 yard shot on a deer. It's a 3 inch MOA gun at best but I know how to shoot. I figured that a 3 inch MOA gun at 200 yards should put all of it's shots in a 6 inch circle. For arguements sake a deer's heart is about a 4 inch circle and it's lungs an 8 inch circle. Not exact but good enough. I aimed for the lungs (lethal in my book) and put a nice hole in it's heart as a bonus.
Now it's a much different story if you want to do headshots on a squirrel from 200 yards. Go ahead and get your 1 MOA gun, I'll sneak up and use my shotgun.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure I would want to have to pay the price for a factory rifle that anyone can shoot one inch or better groups. You are talking custom grade guns now and someone is going to pay for the extra time and attention. I am happy with a gun that will group one inch or even 1 1/2 inches with my better loads. The great majority of Remington, Ruger and Savage rifles that I have owned would do an inch if you put in the time on load development and research and heck, that was half the fun.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:33 AM

DURAMAXLT & BIGCOUNTRY

No skin off my back. "Typical internet report". Typical case of diarrhea of the keyboard.

I think that some people post just to get their post count up. I have nothing to prove to anyone about my shooting, my shooting speaks for itself. As for my rifle being that accruate, look up the history of the 700 rifles.

If I am not mistaken this thread was about the accuracy of today's rifles from our own experiences, not rather or not you beleive I can shoot.

If you notice I even put idiot proof tags on my post "yes it was off a rest...yes,...." Just b/c I knew that someone would get a good case of "he isn't better than me" and have nothing else to do so they type some **** about someone that they have no clue of their capibilties.

"Hate to doubt someone I don't know." Good quote. Stick to it.

Who are any of usto say that anyone can't shoot, hunt, this, that. If you have never witnessed it?I was reading the thread about the boy posting about his dad shooting deer running at 300-400 yards. If you noticed I made no reply.Arethe doubts in my mind? Yes, but did I just type away? Nope. Why not? B/c I am not there to witness it. Maybe ifmore people were like this then hunters could actually sticktogether and orgs such as PETA wouldn't be gaining such ground.

And thething is,I bet ifyou read every post on thisweb site, that its some of the same people that have nothing, but negative remarks to just about every thread they post in.

Both may go ahead and type away at some more insults they will get no response. Thanks for your concern though.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: max the dog

I won't question Craig Boddington about his style of hunting but let's be honest. For big game hunting a 1 MOA gun really isn't nessasary. Take a piece of trash gun that only shoots a 2 MOA group and push it out to 200 yards. Is it useless at that range when hunting deer? Of course not, it's still putting a bullet within 2 inches of your point of aim. The last time I checked a deer's heart was a lot bigger than 2 inches.
I've posted before where I used a 30-30 lever with a 4x scope on a 225 yard shot on a deer. It's a 3 inch MOA gun at best but I know how to shoot. I figured that a 3 inch MOA gun at 200 yards should put all of it's shots in a 6 inch circle. For arguements sake a deer's heart is about a 4 inch circle and it's lungs an 8 inch circle. Not exact but good enough. I aimed for the lungs (lethal in my book) and put a nice hole in it's heart as a bonus.
Now it's a much different story if you want to do headshots on a squirrel from 200 yards. Go ahead and get your 1 MOA gun, I'll sneak up and use my shotgun.
You are leaving out a very significant factor,that being shooter error in the field.Sure you will get 6" groups at 200 yards off of a bench with a 3MOA rifle,but in the field those groups will grow,and it won't take much shooter error for those 6" groups to become 9" groups which can easily result in a wounded animal.The more accurate that your rifle is,the more shooter error that you can make and still make a clean kill.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:44 AM
bigcountry

Sorry StrutnBPS, that I hit a nerve. I guess, my question is, if you have nothing to prove, why would you post your results? No matter, just trying to make some quick easy money.

Take it easy, I don't think anyone on here wants to cause you harm or ill will. Just calling you out. Most of us have heard these reports before by many people but thenwhen it comes to proving, they always choke.And as someone that has owned dozen or so 700's, I know the history pretty well.There are a few on here, I don't want to make that bet with. Haven't quite figured out Stubble just yet, but I ain't willing to put up 500 dollars to see if he could take his rifles and hit subMOA every time. There are a few others, I wouldn't either. But he puts high dollar into his rifles and are hand tweaked.

Congradulations on your gun. Are you close to Spartanburg? Maybe we can shoot together within the next year. I usually make it to Darlington in the Spring. And see my family sometime or another. I will bring my checkbook.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

Craig Boddington is recently on record saying that today's rifle manufacturers need to raise the bar on accuracy..... That (get this) MOA IS NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE FOR A PRODUCTION RIFLE.

How many of you believe that today's production rifles are MOA shooters out of the box?????
This is why I posted my results. My results were stating my point and experince with out of the box rifles.

I am 4hrs + from Spartanburg, so thats a no go. However, I drive through Darlington every other day. No nerve hit (only by you). I haven't been a member of this forum that long, but since I joined I have read just about every post that is on the first and second pages of the deer and guns pages. It just gets me of how many posts I have read where "hunters" are putting down other "hunters", when they live 1,500 miles away and have no clue of what the person is capable of. I am sure that if I posted that I was a retired military sniper that had four gold shooting medals under my belt, along with 25 kills at 1,000 yards, that there would still be people who would mouth off. (No I am not a retired sniper, just a point).

Don't get me wrong, some are far fetched and I would have to see them to beleive them. Calling out, seems to me you may have an ego problem? I also read some of your current posts and see where you are a religion man? If this is so, and you are Christian (not for sure if you are or not), but if you are, wouldn't bringing out thecheck book and makeing a bet be kinda wrong? Not for sure if you read the same Bible I do, but mine says that you shouldn't take chances, that you should hold the faith that God will provide?

If I met up with you and you seen m shoot those results with your own eyes, I am sure that they would be followed by "You got lucky", "It was rigged". And if not, you would get on here and make a post about seeing the results, then some ignorant quick fingered poster would "Now both of your are lieing, prove it to me." Its a never ending battle.

Not trying to jump ya bones or send any wrong messages either, I just ask you and every other "hunter", and person, not to be ignornant and call someone that you have no clue of their capabilities a lier. Would it make you feel better if I said that I made it all up? B/c if it would, I will make a post saying that I did. Then you and everyone else can make a post on howthey "knew" I was a lier. [&:]Either way I have nothing to prove to ya and wish ya the best of luck on the range and in the woods.

Man I will be glad when Sept. 15th gets here, I have too much time on my hands along with many of ya'll.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

Craig Boddington is recently on record saying that today's rifle manufacturers need to raise the bar on accuracy..... That (get this) MOA IS NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE FOR A PRODUCTION RIFLE.

How many of you believe that today's production rifles are MOA shooters out of the box?????
It was my surprise that He'd think that today's standard in accuracy was 1MOA.... If any of you have returned a gun to Ruger or even Remington because of accuracy isues you soon learn that 3" at 100 yards is the standard they repair to. Not 1" /100 yards. Yes, it's true that most rifles shoot better and in some cases much better but it was my question to see how many agreed with me that we haven't operated on a 1 MOA standard at all and now here's an outdoor writer saying we need to "raise the bar".....when IMO we're not at the 1" level yet.

It's my desire to see if others agree that Mr. Boddington is this far out to lunch about today's production rifle accuracy or if he's been spoiled by numerous custom builds and assume standard rifles are the same.

It's my assertion that his writings are not aimed at me because he's not in touch with the shooting world I live in.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:17 AM
bigcountry

I think like most upper elite of anything, from the real tree outdoor team to primos to John Barshness, they have far separated themselves from reality long ago. We strive to shootlike them, kill deer like them, and are usually disappointed in the end bringing ourselves back down to reality.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:42 PM

Finally Mark, I knew you had some good knowledge in you.

I agree with you 100% on that one. BUT one thing that you need to realize is that these celeb "Hunters" are hunting on the best land money can lease/buy, shooting the best bows/rifles their sponsors make.

I made a post on this subject on another forum that I am a member of also. Think about this.....how many deer hunting tv shows can you remember that you have seen recently that wasn't shot in IL, TX, Iowa, or Kansas? If you watched the deer hunting shows, you would think there were no deer in any other states. I know that this area produces the biggest bucks, but is that what hunting is about? To go to a place where the common deer is 160'' and walk around like cattle? I mean, come on, I could even go to those states on their land and kill monster bucks. I would like to see some of them come to SC and shoot a 160'' class deer. We have them, but not walking around like cattle. you have to actually HUNT them.

So what I am getting at is that people have "false idols". One of my biggest HUNTING idols is my uncle. I have seen him hunt places that no would else could get results and he kill wall hangers. He is a guy that doesn't own the most expensive rifle/bow/gun, doesn't hunt on the best land in the grain belt, but still produces record book deer year after year. Is it luck? Maybe. But it is funny that most of these tv "hunters" have to travel to the "deer cattle" states to make the record books.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:00 AM

Well i don't think that these hunters get there by luck. I'm sure most of the tv hunters used to be average guys that hunted in average places. People are quick to put down television hunters skills or lack of skills because the hunts that they participate in on tv are often "easier" than those that we participate in. But who's to say they don't hunt more average places on their own? who knows.

Quick Reply: accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.