HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now
Old 08-29-2005, 08:29 PM
max the dog

Default RE: accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now

I won't question Craig Boddington about his style of hunting but let's be honest. For big game hunting a 1 MOA gun really isn't nessasary. Take a piece of trash gun that only shoots a 2 MOA group and push it out to 200 yards. Is it useless at that range when hunting deer? Of course not, it's still putting a bullet within 2 inches of your point of aim. The last time I checked a deer's heart was a lot bigger than 2 inches.
I've posted before where I used a 30-30 lever with a 4x scope on a 225 yard shot on a deer. It's a 3 inch MOA gun at best but I know how to shoot. I figured that a 3 inch MOA gun at 200 yards should put all of it's shots in a 6 inch circle. For arguements sake a deer's heart is about a 4 inch circle and it's lungs an 8 inch circle. Not exact but good enough. I aimed for the lungs (lethal in my book) and put a nice hole in it's heart as a bonus.
Now it's a much different story if you want to do headshots on a squirrel from 200 yards. Go ahead and get your 1 MOA gun, I'll sneak up and use my shotgun.