Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Benelli R1 Rifle - anyone own one? >

Benelli R1 Rifle - anyone own one?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Benelli R1 Rifle - anyone own one?

Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Benelli R1 Rifle - anyone own one?

I'm looking for info. on the R1, how does it shoot? Easy to clean? General impression?

I'm researching my first rifle for deer and elk. Got it narrowed down to .308 or 30-06. Gunna be a Savage or a Weatherby Vanguard, if not the R1. The R1 Comfortech costs quite a bit more, but then it's not your run of the mill bolt like everyone is toting.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Benelli R1 Rifle - anyone own one?

The Vanguard has a good track record.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't mind the Euro-trash styling, then I'm sure the R1 is a fine rifle. If I were going to put a semi-auto hunting rifle in my safe it'd be aBrowning BAR.

Mike
Old 08-23-2005, 09:17 AM

Driftrider,

So it's safe to say you don't own a R1? Thanks for your opinion, but I'm looking for input from someone that actually owns and shoots anR1.

bugs
Old 08-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's an article I found,

Benelli R1 (.308 Win)
By: Kim du Toit
May 3, 2005

There’s no reason why American sporting rifle manufacturers should have all the fun when it comes to semi-auto rifles. Although there’s nothing wrong with Browning’s BAR and Remington’s 7400 (to name but two), here’s one which looks really interesting: the Benelli ARGO (aka. the R1), in .308 Win:

You know, at first I was put off a little by the unconventional look of this rifle. But I have to tell you, the more I look at it, the more I like it.
No, it doesn’t look much like other rifles. Lamborghinis don’t look much like other cars, either.
Here’s what I know about these puppies.
They’re much lighter (as much as 2lbs lighter) than the BAR, thus making them a hair over 7lbs. Heavy compared to a boltie (and even then not much), and definitely not heavy compared to other semi-auto rifles.
The action is gas-operated, and that design is based on Benelli’s proven M4 semi-auto shotgun, rather than a typical semi-auto rifle design.
The R1 comes in two other chamberings: 300 Win Mag, and .30-06—in other words, they’ve pretty much got most hunting needs covered.
My only gripe is that the damn rifle doesn’t come with iron sights. (Kim’s Rule: All rifles except bull-barreled ones should have standard iron sights. Scopes break, and you need to have a backup.)
The rifles are not cheap, about $800 - $1,000 or so (this particular one is at Collectors), but in my case the eventual cost would come out higher than that, because the first thing I’d do is get a decent gunsmith to mount some iron sights on the thing.
And that wood is just flat-out gorgeous.
If the R1 cost $300 less, I’d go after one with a passion. As it is, I’ll have to wait until the damn lottery folks get their act together and pick my numbers.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Once again, you are getting a response from somebody that doesn't own an R1. That being said, I've met two people in the last 10 days that do own this rifle in 30-06 who absolutely love it. I would be happy to ask them about the cleaning aspect, but they were most impressed by two features:

1. Accuracy.
2. Lack (or Absence) of recoil.

Good Luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 AM

Mustad,

Thanks for the input. I've got some thinking to do; Savage or Vanguard or Sub MOA Vanguard or R1.

bugs
Old 08-24-2005, 07:42 PM

I watched a little kid shoot the R1 in 30-06 on the OLN the other night and he didn't even budge. This kid was pretty little too. I would love to get that R1 in the 300 Winchester Magnum.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Spike

Been using a Benelli R1 in 338 Win Mag for the last 3 years. Tried several different types of ammo and get 1/2 inch groups with the 250 grain Remingtons at 100 yds and 3/4 inch at 200. I use this gun for all big game and have killed 1 moose, 2 bear and five deer with it. My brother bought it in 300 Win Mag and shoots the same with 150 grain Hornady American Whitetail rounds. The lower recoil allowed me to take a quick follow up shot and bag a second deer twice. Love this gun and will heartily recommend it.