Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .270 factory ammo >

.270 factory ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 factory ammo

Old 08-13-2005, 11:10 AM

Default .270 factory ammo

I am looking for some factory ammo for myremington model 710 .270 that i got for x-mas 2 years ago. I will be hunting mule deer up here in south dakota. Last year i used federal 130 gr power shok soft points to take my muledeer. the grouping was good but i was just looking for opinions on other factory ammo to give a try. i tried 130 gr core lokts and winchester 150 gr power point and wasnt happy with the grouping. I did have a scope problem but i think the gun just didnt like these 2 rounds. i have had 130 gr bonded sst, 130 gr sst interlocks, and Federal Premium 150gr Nosler Partition suggested to me so far. I am leaning towards federal nosler partions so far but i want more opinions on others not mentioned and these ones mentioned. thanks for any help.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Default RE: .270 factory ammo

Federal has a real new bullet out,made by cci/speer. Its called the Fusion bullet,a special type bonded bullet with great results. They are selling like hot cakes all over the world. Guns and ammo field editor Dan johnson will be trying them out on pronghorns next month. you can looke them up and all the info ect at www.fusionammo.com Hope i helped. vangunsmith
Old 08-13-2005, 03:07 PM

I guess i havent really heard of this new fusion ammo but after searchingfor it here it sounds pretty good i guess. Im not sure of the price but i think it is not going to be real high priced is it? Also one round i forgot about was PMC Gold 150 gr barnes xlc hollow point. They said the barnes x was a great bullet along with the nosler partition and the pmc gold ammo is not as high priced as some of the others with the same bullet. I dont know much about pmc and i have only shot there shotshells for dove hunting.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:14 PM

"Last year i used federal 130 gr power shok soft points to take my muledeer. the grouping was good "

why are you trying to fix what isn't broke... if this load shoots good and you know it kills... why spend a lot of money on something that isn't guaranteed to improve what you have... for 50 years people been killing stuff with regular old factory 130 grain bullets out of a 270...

it's only in the last couple years that the old stand by's have stopped killing effectively with the factory ammo according to all you read in the magazines... now you need a SSM and premium bullets to kill the same old game animals... I sure hope no one tells my rifles they aren't capable of killing the same animals they have been for the last 40 years... if you got money you want to throw away, buy up a case of what you know works and practice till the season opens, that'll be the best thing you can do for yourself, your rifle and the animals you'll be hunting...
Old 08-14-2005, 07:45 AM

they shoot good but maybe i could find something around the same price as the power shoks that shooteven betterso why not try another one out? I think i am going to give this fusion ammo a try. and i do plan on shooting a lot with it once i get my new scope and everything. you dont need premium bullets to kill animals but if it outperforms other ammo and it is only a few bucks more why not? people spend a whole lot more on many things like scent control clothing that may or may not work great how do we know?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:50 PM

I've got a 710 in .270 that loves 150 grain nosler partitions. And, they are one of the best bullets on the market. Give'em a try!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:40 PM

I shoot a Ruger #1 .270 and i use my180 grain soft nosed hand loaded for deer, and 130 grain factory loads for yotes and wild dogs.

the 180's go thru and thru and obliterate the lungs and heart but dont damage anything else.. i love that.

-BSA
Old 08-23-2005, 06:40 PM

well i picked up some 130 gr fusions. i will test them out soon as i get me a new scope! cant wait. well i really need to get that scope. might order it this week.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: BigFootsAssassin

I shoot a Ruger #1 .270 and i use my180 grain soft nosed hand loaded for deer, and 130 grain factory loads for yotes and wild dogs.

the 180's go thru and thru and obliterate the lungs and heart but dont damage anything else.. i love that.

-BSA
who makes a 180 gr bullet for the 270?...
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 PM

I would also like to know who makes one that heavy for a .270.

I have a Remington 700 .270.

130gr. Winchester Ballistic Tips- held the tighets group. At 200 yards, I can put three shots in a dime sized hole. I also liked these bullets b/c (in my rifle) the point of impact was the same at 100 and 200 yards. I didn't have to worry about adjusting my shot. Just put the cross hairs on the target/deer and squeeze the trigger. This amazed me. Didn't like the meat damage though.

130gr. Hornady SST's- Good groups, liked them. Didn't mess up meat and got the job done. REALLY close to the Win. B. Tips. Only reason I stopped using them is b/c they are hard to find around here. Not many places carry them. I like shooting a pretty good bit during the off-season and got tired of having to order them or having to drive 40 miles to buy a box.

140gr Winchester ACCUBOND- Used them last year, great on paper. I didn't get to test them on a deer. First year I didn't kill any deer in six years. (due to lack of time).

130gr Win. Power Points- Dropped too fast. Anywhere to 2-4 inches of drop when compared to the Ballistic tips at longer shots. Cheap! Use them on yotes and a lot of paper shooting.

130 Win Power Point Plus- Done great on paper, didn't like them b/c the bullet itself "bends" and "nicks" too easy. This has to eventually scar the barrel and descrease performance. Didn't hunt with them b/c of this.

130gr Remington core lokt- Killed A LOT of deer. Bullet has been around for ever and has proven its abilty. Drops too fast, my rifle really didn't group well with them.

This year I will either use the ACCUBOND's b/c my rifle is already set with them. Or if I can roll enough change, might try a couple boxes of the FUSION.

Quick Reply: .270 factory ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.