Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Storage conditions >

Gun Storage conditions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Storage conditions

Old 08-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gun Storage conditions

Thanks guys!
All good advice as usual. My guns are all out a few times in the off season so I'll be able to keep an eye on them. I think I'll get some kind of dessicant or that rod from Cabela's though.Just as a precaution. I may be heading down there in a couple weeks anyway to look for new boots. If not I'll just order it.
Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

B.C. I can’t give you the percent of humidity but it shouldn’t be to high. We have our central air on all summer, so it should be good. I’m going to look into getting the digital gizmo for measuring humidity and temperature. I think that’s an excellent idea in monitoring the humidity. Last thing I want is a surprise one day going into my gun safe.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Cabelas sells a can with pellets in it that when the pellets change color you can bake it in the oven for a few hours and reuse it forever. I bought a can 2 years ago and they work great.....I bake mine around every 5 months. Guns look great....good stuff.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

What works for me. I have a Golden Rod in the safe. Then I ran a keyless socket to burn a low wattage light bulb in rainy weather.I wipe all my guns down with RIG.Never had the slightest problem with rust.It gets extremely damp down here.
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com has good prices on the Golden Rods.
When I feel I need to burn the low wattage light bulb I keep it on 24/7.You do have to keep checking the light bulb. They don't last long with continious use.The Golden Rods plug them in and forget it.A great investment for about 25.00.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 08-12-2005, 03:47 PM

coloradoelk, It really wasn't a big ordeal. I never bolted it to the floor to begin with. I figured if a neighbor saw someone wheeling a safe out my door they would call me. I had the safe in the bedroom with hardwood floors. took everything out of the safe, opened the door to get a little weight on my side, tilted it on the front edge and had the old lady slide a 4x4 under the back. I then shut the door and put a 4x4 near the front edge, we both tilted it back and then i kicked the 4x4 under it with my foot....not too bad at all really for a 650lb safe. The real bitch was when I moved to this new house, elevated 3ft old cracker style house...no not a trailer...lolol...I think when i move I'll leave it and just buy another safe rather than deal with that again
Old 08-12-2005, 08:15 PM

Cyrus you should be fine with a Golden Rod, make sure you have one properly sized tho. The 12" models are for safes under appx 24" in width, if over that you should go with a 18"+ model. The pellets are ok but really aren't needed in a safe that has a rod in it that is working 24/7 and by their very nature their affectiveness decreases monthly as they absorb moisture. I doubt you will have alot of humidity problems anyway being in Canada, certainly NOTHING like the guys on here in FLA!

A few recommendations I have would be to jack the safe up and place it on some 2x4s, one along the front and one along the back that are the same width as the safe (that way you have supported corners so no danger of tipping) that should do it. If it is still "tippy" from side too side then place some smaller 2x4s along the sides but leave a couple of inches between them and the boards you placed in the front and back, that will prevent moisture/air trapment. Simple Gorilla Glue or a perma bond silicone will adhere the boards too the safe good enough for just sitting there. You DON'T want to bolt them too the bottom of the safe as that would compromise the fire and moisture resistance of the safe. Getting it off the floor eliminates temperature changes which will prevent the safes floor from absorbing cold through it in the winter time. The air passage underneath also will eliminate humidity buildup underneath as well. I also would recommend you NOT sit the safe directly against the wall behind it. Leave a 1"-2" airgap for the same reasons as I gave you about the floor/bottom.

I keep my safe in my trophy room in my house so it is airconditioned/heated 24/7 and I don't even have a golden rod in it. Fast temperature changes and high relative humidity (over 50%) is what causes moisture problems to begin with. I THROUGHLY use and recommend "The Inhibitor V80 VCI/Oil Blend" I'm sure you have seen it in the white bottle with an orange and black label. I likewise use their "plugs" that adhere to carpet. They are about the size of a AA battery and two of them stuck too the bottom of the roof of the safe will keep everything dry. A couple of drops of the oil in them every so often doesn't hurt. Heck I even leave the top of the bottle itself open and on the safes shelf. This stuff is pretty powerful and disperses moisture. I also used it on a chamois cloth that I wipe the guns down with after handling.

Dry basements and properly maintained gunsafes can be no problem. Just take the time to do it right the first time and you wont regret it!
RA
Old 09-28-2005, 12:03 PM

I personally use The Inhibitor Rust Preventitive System. The VCI technology in their oils and their plugs provide outstanding protection from rust and corrosion. They have a 12 gauge plug ($5.99)that you can place in your safe and the vapors will insure protection for up to 1 year. Very affordable insurance policy. theinhibitor.com Dan Palmer