Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me choose a Caliber..... >

Help me choose a Caliber.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me choose a Caliber.....

Old 08-10-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Help me choose a Caliber.....

I am looking to buy a new gun for this upcoming season. I'm about 98% sure i'm going with the Browning A-Bolt, but i just don't know what caliber to go with. I hunt in northwest Alabama and i hunt alot of clearings and also hunt woods. My longest shot i would probaly be taking with it is around 300 but that would be very rare. I have been considering a 7mm rem mag, .270, .280, .308. I just wanna know what yall thought would be the best all around gun for me, i'm open to suggestions also.

Thanks, BAMABUCK
Old 08-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help me choose a Caliber.....

Of the calibers you mentioned I would choose the 280. I've been using on for years and I reload for this caliber. This year Federal has introduced several new loads and Hornady also has a new load out. This makes the 280 better than ever in my opinion. I guess it has become popular enough that even the local Wal-Mart carries core-lokt ammo for it now. The 280 is right on the heals of the 7MM and out to 300 yards you and any animal won't know the difference. The A-Bolt is a good rifle and is pretty light compared to a Remington or Winchester. All of the calibers you listed will work well I just am partial to the 280. If you choose the 280 I would look to the 140 gr. loads for your type of hunting. As I stated I reload but I have shot factory ammo in my gun. My best factory ammo load is the Winchester 140 gr. Ballistic Silver Tip. This ammo will consistenly group under an inch out of my rifle. In a pinch for deer hunting this would be the factory ammo I would go to. Also, if you ever get a chance at elk Federal has a 160 gr. Accubond load now available that could be just what the Dr. ordered. Good luck on your decision and purchase. Don't be influenced too much by everyone's opinion as you're the one that has to live with your purchase.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

There's no point in going withthe .280 unless you simply want something "different", but if so that is understandable.
Why not ? The 270 Win and 280 Rem. are as close to one another as any two cartridges we haveout there......at least until you handload then the 280 Rem. can be a "little" moreversatile then the 270 Win. There is a huge selection of bullets available in 7mm up to 175 gr. and the 280 Rem. will hold a little more powder then both the 270 Win. and the 30-06 Spr.

I agree with you on the 25-06 Rem. It shoots a little flatter then the270 Win., 280 Rem., 308 Win. and the 30-06. It does it with less recoil too! The 25-06 is a great whitetail deer round, but so aren't the others mentioned!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 AM

Any one of the cartridges you mentioned will do nicely for the deer hunting you described. No real need for a magnum here.
The 280Rem. is a great cartridge, but availability of rifles is limited compared to the others.
I'd opt for either the 270Win. or the 308Win. Just depends on if you want to go with a standard length action (270) or a short action (308). Both will do okay out to 300yds. The 270 will have a slightly flatter trajectory, but the difference isn't really that much.
My personal choice would be the 270Win., but that was dictated somewhat by the rifle in my case, a Rem.700 LSS Mountain rifle.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .30-06 gets my vote. Just as good as just about anything else out there for whitetail and probably better than most. The A-Bolt, while it wouldn't be my choice, will probably serve you well.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-10-2005, 11:24 AM

All the cartridges you mentioned would do great,but add this one factor.Apparently you don,t reload so, i would prefer a cartridge one could buy military ammo for.You know for plinking and messing around.So that would bring the 308,and the 30-06 into just would fill that nitch. just a thought,vangunsmith
Old 08-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

One of the things you have to remember about the .280 is that while there is a large selection of bullets available for it, many 7mm bullets are tailored more toward the 7mm Mag, and as such in some cases the .280 simplycant push them fast enough fo good performance.
Would you provide some examples of bullets suited for the 7mm mag and not for the .280.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:40 AM

Alright guys, what if it was down between a 280 or .308 which would be an all around better gun. My buddy has a .308 and he has killed a bunch and i mean a bunch with it. Is there a whole lot of diffence between a .243 and .308

Quick Reply: Help me choose a Caliber.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.