Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Greasy Gunsmith >

Greasy Gunsmith

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Greasy Gunsmith

Old 08-06-2005, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Greasy Gunsmith

If it was oil it was very thick, and it had fingerprints in it. I know that fingerprints are not a real concern if not left on for too long. But, the grease or oil had to come from handling a rag or something else as my gun had neither too much oil or any grease on it.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

It sounds as though it was dirty oil/ grease???? Like black smudges??????? If that is the case then it definetly should not have come back to you like that.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

For curiosity sake, When I was doing a rebluing prtoject on one, i couldent see a great way of removing the bolt short of removing the barrel first, so how do you go about it?
Exactly that. Removing the barrel.

The bolt is the last thing that comes out of the gun.

BTW, when I was talking about cleaning it I was refering to completely disassembling the gun to get to all of hte parts to remove carbon build up in the gas tube, gas block, etc and in all of the other nooks and crannies and dissassembling the bolt and cleaning it inside and out.

Every now and then you gotta get in there and remove all the carbon build up.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:12 AM

Just a short note,it doesn,t take anything to make or clean a gun on the outside for cosemtic effect. The gunsmith you took the gun too should have explained to you about the proceedure he would have to go throught to replace this part!!! That was his responsibililty to you as a customer,then explain if you wanted to have it cleaned while it was apart for him to do so or not.I personally would at least clean it up a little without charge,for if i didn,t then something else happened a customer would have come back if somthing went wrong and they would say well you just did this ect. and make me look bad. This way he would cover his butt,make the custjomer happy and all would be well,no problems in the future. But a lot of customers take for granted taht a smlith will clean there gun when its apart,wrong.We are not in the business to do work for free!!So it was a wrong set of communicataion on both of your parts. Like you don,t take your car in and say to the mechnic change my oil,and when you get your car home and check it in a week it is dirty? why is that you said change my oil,you didn,t say with new oil,he just put oil oil back in it,from some other car. or enen your own old oil. Plus some "gunsmiths" put oil on them if they have blueing tanks in ther shop to keep the guns there safer from rusting from the fumes from the blueing tanks in the air rust the guns. i doon,t know i wasn,t there,but just something to think about. vangunsmith