Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How many shotguns does a man need? >

How many shotguns does a man need?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many shotguns does a man need?

Old 08-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How many shotguns does a man need?

I agree Worc, although having too many guns is like having too much money, if you have too many guns you wont have too much money! I dont have too much money, and in spite of what my wife says I DONT have too many guns! EJ
Old 08-06-2005, 09:17 AM

WOW! Alot of guys have answered that you only need one shotgun. You can only shoot one at a time. Well from a purely thrifty point of view, I guess that's true. You can only wear two shoes at one, so there is no need to buy more that one pair. You can only drive one car at a time so all you need is a Toyota Camry. You could say the same for sunglasses, guitars, and knives. One shotgun can be called upon to perform literally all jobs and do most of them fairly well.But Your Stevens 311, although about the best rabbit gun in existence ( and does great for dove and sqirrel) is not the best turkey gun. And you Mossberg pumpwith 3 1/2" chambers is probably not the best thing for sporting clays. In my mind, you should have a different gun for different purposes, when your old standby model 12 turns out not to be the ideal tool for a certain hunting chore. But only if you can afford it, and your wife doesn't yell at you. I now have about 30 rifles, shotguns and handguns so I am only about 7/10 of the way to a complete gun battery!
okcmco
Old 08-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is this a trick question? [>:]
Old 08-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

At least 2 or 3 id think.

What is money for but to buy things with- it dosnt make very good mattress stuffing.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:20 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

Is this a trick question? [>:]
Well, Doe I was looking for someone to bring me back to my senses.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i had all the shotguns i needed when i got my first it was amossberg 500, I recieved from my dad for my 15th birthday. its a great shotgun does everything id ever need a shotgun to do i still use it alot, usually inrainy and wetweather. But then as the years went by I found other shotguns i didnt need but wanted. So... you should rephrase your question and ask this, How many shotguns does a man want? my answer is atleast one for every finger and toe you have and maybe a couple more.... otherwise to answer your original question my honest answer would be1.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:38 AM

Well you can shoot only one shotgun at atime,But geese are still geese,and ducks are still ducks,pheasants,are still pheasants ect,ect,ect!From blackpowder shotgun shells to modern have changed shotgun shooting dramitically.Even from paper shells tok plastics ,to plastic wads. A shotgun shell achieves its max, vel with around 18" of the barrel. Now you have the choke concern.The distance range from a 18" letas say to a 26" barrel is only 6yds.A longer barrel was needed in blackpowder to get all the powder had to give as gfar as burning to achieve max vel. With smokeless powder thats not needed,not with plastic wads the wad holds a tighter pattern than with paper wads for distance. One can shoot a 20-22 inch barrel with the same ammo and loose very little shot in a pattern at the same distance. The only reason magnums really came out in the market is because a lot of shooters per say can,t shoot that well,and they figure that the more shot they put out of the barrel they are bound to hit something. A good load in a 12ga for example will shoot just as far a kill just as good as any 3 1/2 inch shell. (2 3/4). I mean. Now days one shotgun will do it all with a Mod. choke from geese to quail and doves. Shotgun shell manufactores love guys that can,t shoot!! Money in ther pockets. So go practice practice and some more. Look at it this way,A mod choke now days with the ammo they make is like a full choke in the paper wad days. It hold the pattern tighter. So it you cn,t hit them with a mod choke,then what are you going to do with a full choke, think it will go oout farther? No,its just a tigher pattern,so that means you have to shoot even better. so, it all comes back to ones ability!!!?? You don,t need all these chokes,or long barrels, just be able to shoot!! IMHO,from 50 yrs of hunting,49 yrs reloading and 39 yrs being a state cert.gunsmith. For what all this is worth,just passing it on. vangunsmith