Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I need help... >

I need help...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need help...

Old 08-03-2005, 08:47 PM

Default I need help...

I am about to purchase a new shotgun and don't want to screw this up. The problem is this. There are two guns almost identical except for barrel length and choke. Your opinions would be a big help.

The gun is an AyA #2, 28ga. SXS. Gun number one has 29 inch barrels and is choked mod/mod. Gun number two has 27 inch barrels and is choked skeet/skeet. I can't decide which will be the more useful of the two for my purposes.

I will be using this new gun primarily for preserve quail and pheasant hunting over pointing dogs in Central Texas. It will see some wild bird action in South Texas and probably a few dove and some clays as well.

Which of these two guns would you purchase and why. Which do you think will be the most useful of teh two guns?

Thanks in advance for any input.

T Barth Milligan
Deacon's Point Outfitters
www.deaconspoint.com
Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I need help...

Honestly for the shooting you mentioned I wouldn't buy either one.

I would not want both barrels to be choked the same.

I would want one choke to be an open choke such as skeet or imp cylinder for the close in shots at flushing birds and the other I would want choked to about modified or imp. modified for the occasional missed first shot or a distant bird flushing.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bigbulls .

If I were to buy one of these I would have a good gunsmith open one of the chokes to IC or a little looser

Johnch
Old 08-05-2005, 12:35 PM

where i live we use shotguns all the time. we go to many shooting competitions through the year and arealways hunting some kind of bird. So when i buy a shotgun gun i always make sure its has screw in chokes instead of fixed ones. that way you can get all the chokes you want to fit anything your going to shoot. As far as the length of the barrel thats personel preference. I like a 32 inche barrel for good balance and a smooth swing.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:50 AM

If you want a SXS i wouldn,t go with a 28ga. First off the price of shells. Second if you get a SXS get one with a full and Mod choke. Third if you want a gun in that size range get a 20 ga,that has chambers to shoot 2 3/4 or 3" shells. Then you gun will be able to do many variety of shooting situtations as you mentioned. A 20ga,with a 3" shell is as effective asa 12ga 2 3/4 " shell. So you will be set for quail to geese. With all the fun involved. good hunting.vangunsmith