Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Would it be a sin... >

Would it be a sin...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Would it be a sin...

Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would it be a sin...

You could probably get away with that if you are hunting in flatlands with little chance of hurting the scope and a mild kicking caliber. But if you are shooting a harder kicking caliber (30-06 or stouter), and hunting in rugged terrain, I would spend a little more on optics. My Sako has an old 4.5-14X Leupold Vari X III and it has taken a beating over the last ten years without ever losing it's zero.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same with the Aetec. It has matched my Leupolds in everything but cost. They have been every bit the scope of those costing three times as much.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is definetly difficult to get past the cost factor. It was difficult for me. I use one of my Aetecs on my muzzle loader which I pack with 3 Triple 7 pellets. That is a lot of kick. It is dead nuts.

I will never buy another Lueopold as long as I live. I just can't stomach the idea that I spent $500 on a scope that isn't supperior to a $130 Aetec. I unfortunetly own two Leupolds now and if I could get my money out of them I would.

I would however consider a Zeiss Conquest. Zeiss has amazingly clear glass and I have never owned one.

Try the Aetec and if you can't handle the pressure your buddies put on you for shooting with a Simmons scope then go out and buy an expensive scope.

Tom
Old 08-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how Leupolds are made now, but I have a ten year old Vari X III on my 300 WBY and it is as clear as it was ten years ago.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grizzlyman,

I also don't know how Leupolds were made 10 years ago but my measure of a good scope is not only clear it is also low-light performance. The aetec is pretty darn impressive in low light.

Tom
Old 08-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use what you want, but don't criticize other people's choices. I shoot a $100 Bushnell on one of my rifles, and it's fine for it's purpose. I've got a $450 Leupold on another rifle and it's fine for it's purpose. What I said before has to do with the intended use vs the quality.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm biased in this regard, because I have two Sako 75's and both wear Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scopes. I've hunted pretty hard with the .300 Wby Sako in particular and have fired some 800 rounds of ammo with that Zeiss on it andithasn't given me any concerns whatsoever. So, the Zeiss Conquest gets my vote.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at that Zeiss Conquest last year and really liked it. If I was going to replace the Leupold on my Sako, I would give the Zeiss a serious look.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:24 AM

Personally, I'd sell the $1200.00 rifle, buy a $500.00 rifle, and put a $1200.00 scope on it.You'd getbetter consistency out of it.